A/C Compressor Options, alternatives.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
mattler

A/C Compressor Options, alternatives.

Post by mattler »

Hi Guys/Girls,
wondering is anyone can help me. It would seem that I`ve bought a car with a wonderful engine and chassis but the prev owner has had zero clue about ANYTHING other than that!!
So far he must have forgot about 20 minor issues that have been found by my mechanic.
anyway during a dyno session today the intermittent fault on the aircon became terminal and the compressor sadly passed away.
Now, the car is in Manila and currently there is approx 3-4 weeks delay on parcels arriving.
Can anyone tell me if any of the other toyota models form that era share the same compressor or if any fit with a bit of slight modification?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: A/C Compressor Options, alternatives.

Post by jimi »

According to the EPC no other Toyota's use the same compressor. Whether another could be modiffied to fit I have no idea.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Personally I wouldn't waste any money trying to fix it. The pipework is so complex and all the oring seals are long gone. The cost to repair it is just not worth it, you will spend a fortune, it will go for a few months and die again. Total waste of money. Pull the A/C compressor and bin it. Saves a load of weight and make the engine easier to work on.

Topic author
mattler

Post by mattler »

MR2DI4 wrote: 06/06/20 3:10 Personally I wouldn't waste any money trying to fix it. The pipework is so complex and all the oring seals are long gone. The cost to repair it is just not worth it, you will spend a fortune, it will go for a few months and die again. Total waste of money. Pull the A/C compressor and bin it. Saves a load of weight and make the engine easier to work on.
I'm going to have to struggle through and figure out a way. Not sure if you missed the part about the car being in manila but it gets a liit bit hot over there so aircon is essential

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

Have you considered getting your old one rebuilt?
Surely there must be somewhere. In a hot place like manila that does it!
What has gone on the old one?
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

abovetherim wrote: 06/06/20 13:09 Have you considered getting your old one rebuilt?
That would seem like a good idea :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
mattler

Post by mattler »

abovetherim wrote: 06/06/20 13:09 Have you considered getting your old one rebuilt?
Thats actually a really good shout thanks. I cant believe I didn`t think of that already. You should be right because one thing they are very good at in the Philippines is getting old stuff and keeping it going like trucks from WW2 still kicking around!
I dont know exactly what is wrong yes because it was late yesterday when the mech brought the car back from the dyna so he wont be investigating further until Monday.

If it sounds like I`m a bit vague on all this its because I`m stuck in Africa at work because of the global flights situation.

Return to “MK2”