No spark after the distributor

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kledith

No spark after the distributor

Post by Kledith »

Hi I have an 1992 na with an 1999 engine which now has no spark after the distributor got spark getting to it just not passing through. I was driving normally through town when my car decided to cut out, all electrics still working just the engine cut out and wouldn't start again turns out my distributor cap had come loose and the rotor arm made a mess of the cap with melted plastic all around the outside of the rotor arm which I assumed would be the problem. So far have replaced the cap rotor and new distributor just incase was messed up internally, coil pack, king lead, plugs, ht leads, fuses. But still not getting any spark after the dizzy at at lose at what would be causing the issue also my check engine light is constantly on when trying to bridge the diagnostic ports so not sure if that has something to do with the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated as my mechanic is tearing out what is left of his hair trying to find the issue

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: No spark after the distributor

Post by benckj »

I saw the mess the rotor caused when it decided to leave it’s home. Just wonder if the damage caused a fault with igniter. May look ok without a load but when connected to plugs it Short’s to ground?

Jim

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

Hi Jim thanks for the reply is there a way to test to see if the ignitor is faulty as they aren't cheap if its not the issue. Another person said could be the ecu but had a quick look and looks brand new inside no obvious faults

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

BGB has the required tests for coil and igniter, would start there.
Distrubutor itself could also now be faulty, think it has a built in timing sensor which could be damaged.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

Chris69 wrote: 24/07/20 20:26 BGB has the required tests for coil and igniter, would start there.
Distrubutor itself could also now be faulty, think it has a built in timing sensor which could be damaged.
Thanks for your reply I have replaced the complete distributor with a fully working one but no luck will get the mechanic to test the ignitor and hope that is the problem

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If your getting a spark on the king lead going to the distributor and nothing coming out, then it can only be a faulty rotor arm, distributor cap or plug leads. Have you checked each individual plug lead to see if your getting a spark at each one or indeed any of them
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

I have had a no start problem before after doing a head gasket. Replaced dizzy, cap, rotor and leads before I found 2 of the 4 new NGK spark plugs o fitted were duds.

Also engine is cylinder 1 timing belt end so this needs to be tdc when rotor about to strike 1 on the dizzy cap. And check firing order on the cap.

The ECU diagnostics may be down to wiring errors when the engine swap was done.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

jimi wrote: 24/07/20 23:11 If your getting a spark on the king lead going to the distributor and nothing coming out, then it can only be a faulty rotor arm, distributor cap or plug leads. Have you checked each individual plug lead to see if your getting a spark at each one or indeed any of them
I have tried 2 different brand new rotor arms caps and a whole brand new distributor with no joy plugs all spark on a different car as well as the leads just nothing on mine hense why I'm asking for advice as the usual stuff hasn't worked

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

abovetherim wrote: 25/07/20 0:34 I have had a no start problem before after doing a head gasket. Replaced dizzy, cap, rotor and leads before I found 2 of the 4 new NGK spark plugs o fitted were duds.

Also engine is cylinder 1 timing belt end so this needs to be tdc when rotor about to strike 1 on the dizzy cap. And check firing order on the cap.

The ECU diagnostics may be down to wiring errors when the engine swap was done.
Car was running fine before the issue so don't think the engine swap is the problem as was done 7 years ago same mechanic working on the car now. I did suggest the ignition timing but he seems to think the car should run with bad timing just badly

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Even if the timing was out you'd get a spark.

Check the coil and igniter properly, you may be getting a weaker spark at the king lead than you should so by the time current gets to the plugs it's not strong enough.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

Replaced the coil and igniter with known working units still not getting any spark tried to post a video of the the engine trying but won't let me add it anymore ideas before my mechanic gives up as needs his space back

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Just as a double check, take off the dizzy cap and make sure the rotor is moving when cranking.

Also I have had a brand new pattern rotor arm not work before!

Also worth checking the earth's for the engine. Iirc there is one under the inlet manifold that might have been taken out by the failure.

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Also just spit balling here but are you sure your getting fuel. Spray easy start in the tb to see if it makes a difference.

Topic author
Kledith

Post by Kledith »

abovetherim wrote: 08/08/20 23:37 Just as a double check, take off the dizzy cap and make sure the rotor is moving when cranking.

Also I have had a brand new pattern rotor arm not work before!

Also worth checking the earth's for the engine. Iirc there is one under the inlet manifold that might have been taken out by the failure.
Thanks for the reply I've Already checked and the rotor is spinning when cranking not sure how fast its meant to spin but is moving steadily. Mechanic is starting to think the engine is f***ed as has developed a metal squealing noise when turning over will get him to get the car on the ramp to check to earth's again but engine seems to be earthed as will cause a spark when putting the king lead next to the block definitely getting fuel as can smell it and the plugs are wet after trying to crank

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”