Help! 93 NA AUTO starts and dies right away

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dexterMR2
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 2

Help! 93 NA AUTO starts and dies right away

Post by dexterMR2 »

Hi all

As per the title, last night, the car would turn once (the cylinders would fire) and then die after a turn or two. Managed to make it run for about 3 seconds once but died immediately after. All check lights stay on after.

I've short circuited the diagnostics port, the engine light does not blink. AT ALL ! It is meant to blink a bit if all OK, but it just stays ON. It is not battery as far as I can tell as it managed to crank the thing several times last night and today. All fuses in engine bay are OK. So are in the Frunk.
I am pretty clueless right now.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Help! 93 NA AUTO starts and dies right away

Post by abovetherim »

We need more info
Did the car run before? How long since it ran?
Has any work been carried out on the car?

If this is a condition that has occurred recently and you are doing the diagnostics correctly then it point to the increasingly common ecu capacitor failures
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
dexterMR2
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by dexterMR2 »

Hello mate. Thanks for the reply

The car sat around for a month while I was on extended vacation due to covid. Had no issues like this before. There was no work done on the car. I came back and it ran fine for a week or ten days. It ran fine two hours before it did this.

I took the ECU out and checked the capacitors. Visually and with a magnifying glass, I couldn't see any leakage.

*Only thing the car has was a constant gearbox warning light that the second gearbox speed sensor is faulty. I haven't been able to find one to replace it but it shifted gears smoothly and so I left it.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

If it wasn't for the diagnostics issue I would be suggesting to check the condition of the coil pack.
But it may be worth going through the fuel and spark checks for a non start condition.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”