Exhaust issues

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mr2-Sven

Exhaust issues

Post by Mr2-Sven »

Hey everyone,

Maybe some one can help me here. I have a Scorpion back box and I am really happy with the sound. However, like you can see on the picture, the left side of the back box is changing the colour because if the heat I guess. I already tried to sand it down with water sand paper and polish afterwards, with work find for a month.

Any tips on how to avoid the colour change? Maybe some Coating?
Attachments
20200831_145504.jpg
20200507_185704.jpg

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Exhaust issues

Post by jimi »

Very little you can do about it, must be the way the exhaust is configured internally, making that side hot enough to cause the stainless to discolour, possibly due to the type/thickness of the stainless heat is making the stainless discolour. A coating (lacquer or similar) will only be on the surface, the stainless will still change colour below it
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Mr2-Sven

Post by Mr2-Sven »

That is a shame, I really like the sound of if. It's not too loud and you can easily drive on the motorway for hours and it still has an cat, but the colour change is really annoying me haha. Most aftermarket once have no cat and they are just too loud.

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Synz »

As Jimi said you would assume its an internal issue, if you're not bothered about it being stainless you could paint the box black with a heat resistant paint.

However my experience with heat resistant paints is they need refreshing every so often with anything that gets water on it.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

Topic author
Mr2-Sven

Post by Mr2-Sven »

I am looking into ceramic coating exhaust, maybe in a gloss silver. But I think you can also ceramic coating it with something which looks similar to chrome. Or maybe I will bring the exhaust to an custom exhaust shop. Maybe they can open it and see what is wrong.

But in the end is also a question of money.

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jeff »

a good shop would be able to make a complete back box and weld on the pipes i would expect

not sure where you are in the country, guy local to me does all that sort of stuff
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”