3sgte Oil Pressure Gauge?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2T_Jake
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

3sgte Oil Pressure Gauge?

Post by MR2T_Jake »

Hi all!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas, well the best they can during these times.

I was gifted a new gauge for my car, specifically a oil pressure gauge, i'm excited to get it in but need to know where i should be fitting it?

I have heard that T-off the oem port is the best option as the gen 2 block having the filter sandwich right near the exhaust manifold can cause some problems. Is this true?

If so would a braided Tee work and what is the thread type i need?

Thanks all!

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: 3sgte Oil Pressure Gauge?

Post by chaos19810 »

A tee from the original place works just fine, the thread is 1/8 NPT if I remember rightly.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

There are 3 threads for the Sandwich adapters and it was the one I least expected that fitted.

https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id=281

Don't think you find NPT on the car like on the aftermarket adapter, its close and you can jam it in but I think you will find its BPT. Tapered threads are a bit of a pain when it comes to the start diameter, finish diameter and the length let alone the actual thread pitch as well.

Advantages of the sandwich is it raises your oil filter height, gives you pressure at the pump but disadvantages include its a total pain to fit as the dipstick holder is in the way and it gets very hot there with a 3inch downpipe are eventually the plastic screw terminals of the pickup sender even start to show signs of heat stress and the sensor doesn't last that long because they are cheaply made in Taiwan. When the sensor on mine died I had to make a special spanner to get the old one off. The sensor/senders only last a few years if you drive it a lot because the rubber seals in them fail and it floods the variable resistive element with oil and you start getting random oil pressure readings.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

chaos19810 wrote: 26/12/20 20:52 A tee from the original place works just fine, the thread is 1/8 NPT if I remember rightly.
Your right, it’s 1/8 BSPT I just used one of these as a blank for the standard oil pressure sensor and it fitted perfectly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233514336252

I’ve had nothing but leaks from sandwich plates both cheap and branded ones, I’m lucky my engine is an Rev3 tubby so I just use the additional ports around oil pump

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”