Ignition timing

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
stiletto72

Ignition timing

Post by stiletto72 »

Can someone give advice please? It's some time since I last checked Ignition timing on my Mk2 and following the tech advice, and workshop manual page, remembered how to do it! I know I ought to check each service interval, but time flies by....
When I connect the multi connector terminals TE1 and E1, couple up my timing light gun and start the engine, the idle drops to about 600RPM (normally 800) and the orange management warning light flashes constantly. Any ideas on this one, please?
It reverts to normal once bridging wire is disconnected. Not wanting to cause any damage, I have left it alone, but really need to check/adjust timing to get the best from the engine.
I can't remember this happening before?

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Ignition timing

Post by benckj »

It’s perfectly normal for engine light to flash and idle to drop to 750 when E1 bridged. This stops ECU from advancing timing. Once this is done use timing light connected to Cyl 1 to check that crank timing is at 10deg. Might pay to locate crank notch first and place some white paint on to see better.

On a side note I don’t see any reason to check timing at every service. Best to do after changing cam belt or other engine work.

Jim

Topic author
stiletto72

Re: Ignition timing

Post by stiletto72 »

Thanks Jim
That's good to know that this is normal! Yes, I have already marked pulley and pointer with fresh paint. Recently replaced dist cap & rotor, so this is my excuse for being a bit neurotic over the timing!!? Probably find it hasn't altered at all!
Nigel

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”