Rev2 fuel pump vs Rev3 fuel pump

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Voivod

Rev2 fuel pump vs Rev3 fuel pump

Post by Voivod »

I'm planning to replaced my fuel pump shortly just as precaution measure..but can't find a clear answer which one is better. Any thoughts or experience..or advice?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rev2 fuel pump vs Rev3 fuel pump

Post by MR2DI4 »

The later denso pump is better. Part number something like 950-0152 from memory. They were as cheap as out of the USA years ago so i bought one. Wouldn't use anything else other than a Denso pump. Got mine from sparkplug.com i think.

Some great reference material on fuel pumps if you google it with regards to different pumps and flow rates etc.

Pump performance is heavily dependent on the actual Voltage getting to the pump itself. The stock wiring is a bit thin but could still handle the extra current when i boosted the voltage. The current jumped a couple of Amps over stock on mine.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 18/03/21 0:32 The later denso pump is better. Part number something like 950-0152 from memory. They were as cheap as out of the USA years ago so i bought one. Wouldn't use anything else other than a Denso pump. Got mine from sparkplug.com i think.

Some great reference material on fuel pumps if you google it with regards to different pumps and flow rates etc.

Pump performance is heavily dependent on the actual Voltage getting to the pump itself. The stock wiring is a bit thin but could still handle the extra current when i boosted the voltage. The current jumped a couple of Amps over stock on mine.
I've ordered one from Toyota plus other bits..like valve,filter new strainer,hoses. I've looked at Walbro and first search came with lot's of problems pretty much on every forum. It's not easy job to do the pump replacement so it's better do it once. :laughing

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

I didn’t think there was any difference between rev2 and 3 pumps. I own a rev3 and after my OEM pump failed before reaching 100km on clock I installed a Waldron 225. It flows bettter than OEM and if you wrap with sound absorbing rubber the classic ‘whine’ can’t be heard.

Upon dissecting my stock pump during a post-mortem I found it was not shimmed correctly and brushes worn off armature. This caused one to stick open and pump failed. I can provide pics if interested.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

The early pump is for the 440cc injectors and the later pump is for 550cc injectors.

As to whether there is a difference you would need a new one of each and run a flow test, however the part numbers changed. Pretty much the later pump is the only option if you try and order a new one.

The Denso is silent, I cannot hear it and the Japanese make better automotive products than the USA.

Still got the 1990 Denso pump in mine and its still going and its getting whacked with at least 16 Volts.

As already stated the flow is all about the Voltage to the pump. If you were not boosting the Voltage you could parallel up some additional wiring to the stock wiring and clean up the ring connectors as there are a few joins before it get to the pump itself. Also clean up the earth side of things. This reduces the Voltage drop to the pump which means more pressure. From memory the stock setup in mine had the pump drawing about 3 amps but now its like 5 Amps so even the reducing the Voltage drop in the stock wiring would make a difference.

For a bigger build you can go for the Supra pump. A fuel pressure gauge is a good idea for a number of reasons. If you end up getting to much base fuel pressure you need some method of controlling it like an adjustable FPR so you cannot simply over spec the pump on its own.

With a new pump you defiantly want to start out at the top end of the Toyota spec for the base fuel pressure. When I first put in my gauge mine was at the bottom end and the low pressure fuel warning light came on during idle as it was down at like 27psi.

Poor fuel pressure would be the leading cause of 3SGTE engine failures, people cranking up the boost in old cars with old under performing fuel pumps.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

benckj wrote: 20/03/21 18:37 I didn’t think there was any difference between rev2 and 3 pumps. I own a rev3 and after my OEM pump failed before reaching 100km on clock I installed a Waldron 225. It flows bettter than OEM and if you wrap with sound absorbing rubber the classic ‘whine’ can’t be heard.

Upon dissecting my stock pump during a post-mortem I found it was not shimmed correctly and brushes worn off armature. This caused one to stick open and pump failed. I can provide pics if interested.

Yeah you right! There is no difference in Rev2 and Rev3 stock fuel pumps and part numbers is the same 23221-50020 I'll bet Rev1 have same pump..I'll find out anyway. Then that begs the question..

Too many failures to take the risk and is not an easy job..if it was Celica then fine. Also Walbro draws higher current,on Evo forum I've read that is burn the relays prematurely.

p.s On other car I'm using Aeromotive pump,so far so good after over 14000miles but to replace it will take me 30 min

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 20/03/21 20:17 The early pump is for the 440cc injectors and the later pump is for 550cc injectors.
No you're wrong one pump for all turbo models! 23221-50020 I've personally check that with Toyota by having 2 chassis numbers for Rev2 and Rev3.
Attachments
123.jpg
123.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

So I've been at Toyota today and check the fuel pump part number for Rev1 Rev2 and Rev3 all have same fuel pump and part number 23221-50020. Also I asked to check if there were any old part numbers which may been superseded..and the aswer was NO :rofl:
Attachments
20210322_134252.jpg

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/2322150020
Any use?
I believe the same pump is also used on on the European spec Lexus LS400 (1989-2000)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimi wrote: 22/03/21 20:51 https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/2322150020
Any use?
I believe the same pump is also used on on the European spec Lexus LS400 (1989-2000)
Thanks :th: But Autodoc is garbage at anything :laughing I had Lexus LS400 VVTI and I've got the pump from in another MR2 fuel tank.. as far as I remember the part number completely different however the pump looks pretty much the same..also Lexus had different set up compare to MR2..it has extra fuel pressure relief valve as a part of fuel pump assembly. I can pull it out tomorrow if I have a chance.. :D

p.s my point is...is to minimize and eradicate the Myths and Misinformation in this particular matter..whatever is an MR2 or Mitsubishi Evo..or the rest :laughing

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

So you mean I'm right.

There is only one pump available now and all the old numbers of the pumps that WERE available have been discontinued.

Like I said you would need to flow test the pumps and thats now pretty much impossible.

Its possible the early pump was overspec and it didn't physically change, you will never know.

The stock FPR can handle a range of pump performance and the base fuel pressure spec is 27 to 31psi so your not really going to notice any change in that range from a drivers perspective.

Some say the Walbro flows more but clearly it doesn't or you would have noticeable issues if it was much over 32psi which is what I run.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 22/03/21 22:15 So you mean I'm right.

There is only one pump available now and all the old numbers of the pumps that WERE available have been discontinued.

Like I said you would need to flow test the pumps and thats now pretty much impossible.

Its possible the early pump was overspec and it didn't physically change, you will never know.

The stock FPR can handle a range of pump performance and the base fuel pressure spec is 27 to 31psi so your not really going to notice any change in that range from a drivers perspective.

Some say the Walbro flows more but clearly it doesn't or you would have noticeable issues if it was much over 32psi which is what I run.

Lol Horse Sh++t!!! Can you please read the Whole Story!!! No You're Wrong And in Many Ways! :rofl: No there is no any part numbers regarding Rev1 Re v2 or Rev3 that has been discontinued! :rofl:

p.s Tell me please the difference in base fuel pressure..Rev1 Rev2 and REv3 :facepalm:
Last edited by Voivod on 24/03/21 0:51, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 22/03/21 22:15 So you mean I'm right.
No you Don't!

p.s Also I asked to check if there were any old part numbers which may been superseded..and the answer was NO
Last edited by Voivod on 23/03/21 8:39, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

Last edited by Voivod on 23/03/21 8:38, edited 1 time in total.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”