Electrical puzzle

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cdm

Electrical puzzle

Post by cdm »

Hi,

I have a 93 MK2 2.0 NA. It runs well but has just exhibited some weird warning lights on the dash as follows.....

Low Brake fluid - but there is plenty in the reservoir
Discharge - but the alternator is working well with 14.4V when the engine is running
Low oil level - but the dipstick says Full
Engine fan warning - even at low temps.

There is no Engine Management Light and the car starts and runs just fine.

It feels like a connection or earthing problem but I can't see the common link to these sensors.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Topic author
cdm

Re: Electrical puzzle

Post by cdm »

Update....

Problem solved. In case any of you ever see this thing again....

It was actually the 3-way plug to the alternator that was making a poor contact. The clue that lead me there was the wiring diagram that showed the Discharge Light on the dash connected to the L terminal of the alternator.

Plugged in in firmly and the problem is gone.

Result!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Well done for sussing it out. :th:
Because of the way the circuit works (it basically monitors the voltage difference between the battery voltage and the alternator output voltage) the charge warning light can be a handy diagnostic tool.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Khoc

Post by Khoc »

20210505_145406.jpg
cdm wrote: 23/03/21 13:45 Update....

Problem solved. In case any of you ever see this thing again....

It was actually the 3-way plug to the alternator that was making a poor contact. The clue that lead me there was the wiring diagram that showed the Discharge Light on the dash connected to the L terminal of the alternator.

Plugged in in firmly and the problem is gone.

Result!
Been having charging problems myself. Finally managed to get the 3 pin plug off and it was all dirty with white deposits. But now when I put it back on it feels very loose!!! It's all done by feel. Did you feel it click back into place or is there a latch on the plug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”