Electrical puzzle

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cdm

Electrical puzzle

Post by cdm »

Hi,

I have a 93 MK2 2.0 NA. It runs well but has just exhibited some weird warning lights on the dash as follows.....

Low Brake fluid - but there is plenty in the reservoir
Discharge - but the alternator is working well with 14.4V when the engine is running
Low oil level - but the dipstick says Full
Engine fan warning - even at low temps.

There is no Engine Management Light and the car starts and runs just fine.

It feels like a connection or earthing problem but I can't see the common link to these sensors.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Topic author
cdm

Re: Electrical puzzle

Post by cdm »

Update....

Problem solved. In case any of you ever see this thing again....

It was actually the 3-way plug to the alternator that was making a poor contact. The clue that lead me there was the wiring diagram that showed the Discharge Light on the dash connected to the L terminal of the alternator.

Plugged in in firmly and the problem is gone.

Result!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Well done for sussing it out. :th:
Because of the way the circuit works (it basically monitors the voltage difference between the battery voltage and the alternator output voltage) the charge warning light can be a handy diagnostic tool.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Khoc

Post by Khoc »

20210505_145406.jpg
cdm wrote: 23/03/21 13:45 Update....

Problem solved. In case any of you ever see this thing again....

It was actually the 3-way plug to the alternator that was making a poor contact. The clue that lead me there was the wiring diagram that showed the Discharge Light on the dash connected to the L terminal of the alternator.

Plugged in in firmly and the problem is gone.

Result!
Been having charging problems myself. Finally managed to get the 3 pin plug off and it was all dirty with white deposits. But now when I put it back on it feels very loose!!! It's all done by feel. Did you feel it click back into place or is there a latch on the plug?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”