Engine coolant drain plug.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Khoc

Engine coolant drain plug.

Post by Khoc »

Hi guys, I am wanting to complete a coolant change by draining the radiator plug and the engine drain bolt as car has sat for 10 years. I believe I have located the engine drain bolt and can't get the bugger open! Have sprayed with WD40 and going to wait a couple of days before I jack up car and try again! Any tips?
:th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

supercookie

Re: Engine coolant drain plug.

Post by supercookie »

Maybe get the engine warm & just try loosening it (don't remove completely cos of hot coolant)

Topic author
Khoc

Post by Khoc »

;)
Also going to jack front and back up and place axle stands as think I might get better access to it. Took me over an hour to find it as it's really out of the way!

rgb
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by rgb »

there are two drain bolts on the metal pipes that go to the radiator . pull off the rear undertray and you will see them

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Did the engine have proper coolant in it ? Personally I wouldn't bother trying to get that bolt out, just flush the whole system with water a couple of times and refill with new coolant if the existing coolant looks bad.

Really depends on what the existing coolant looks like, if its really clean then leave it alone. Not changed mine for over 10 years.

So many cars end up running plain water and for an MR2 with so much cast iron its a nightmare. The whole cooling system is pretty much stuffed if that has happened because a layer of rust plaque just forms over everything, even the inside of the rubber hoses.

Topic author
Khoc

Post by Khoc »

Well yesterday...
drained old brown coolant, about 4 liters via the radiator (had bleed hoses on and open) put hose pipe down cap at back to flush. Tried to refill with coolant and would only take 4 liters. Repeated the whole process again and same happened so think engine plug drain would get all the bad coolant out.

Topic author
Khoc

Post by Khoc »

rgb wrote: 11/04/21 18:34 there are two drain bolts on the metal pipes that go to the radiator . pull off the rear undertray and you will see them
Would this drain the coolant from the engine?

Topic author
Khoc

Post by Khoc »

Coolant drained via the engine drain bolt. Following all the steps to bleed system but is taking a while to get Coolant in. So far 7 liters in 2 days. Have a feeling it won't be taking 14 liters. Is it possible that because it's a Japanese import the Coolant amount is different?

nemesis450

Post by nemesis450 »

have you sorted out your coolant problems yet, if not let me know. I totally refurbished the cooling system on my rev 5 turbo, so fully understand the system.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”