3SGTE Cold Idle Speed

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2T_Jake
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

3SGTE Cold Idle Speed

Post by MR2T_Jake »

Morning all,

Just a quick one today!

My MR2 has a cold idle of around 1100rpm, starts first time every time with no hesitation at all.

Does this sound about right / Okay for a cold start? The warm idle once she is up to temp is a nice stable 750rpm she revs up fine and shows no issues anywhere.

I'm used to my MINI having a cold idle much higher than this, just want to see if this is the norm?

Thanks,
Jake

I can't figure out how to put in an image here, so this is my cry for help. :confused1:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: 3SGTE Cold Idle Speed

Post by jimi »

Sounds normal to me :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Sounds perfect to me. It should idle between 750-850rpm from memory after it warms up. The ECU looks after the idle and it "Learns" it after the battery has been disconnected. The only time my idle started drifting about is when the alternator was playing up. Probably because the fuel pressure was floating about due to the Voltage not being rock solid stable.

charliemister2

Post by charliemister2 »

Have been reading lots of blogs on here to try and fathom my idle speed problem - I own a 1992 Toyota MR2 MK2 REV 2 Jap import and approx 4 years ago had a major engine rebuild - cylinders re-bored - oversized pistons , crank shaved and polished and virtually every moving part on the lower end replaced. So I run the car in the requisite 1,000 miles at the required rev range and then start to notice that once the engine is warmed through my idle speed is hovering around 1,200 rpm and only drops down intermittently when the fan kicks in . Ive been reading all the threads about throttle body's etc and I'm still in the dark. I live in Plymouth and ive bounced around a fair few garages trying to find somebody that might actually know what direction to go in with said problem but most of them don't want to touch it or sound vague ? Does anyone know a good reliable MR2 mechanic in the West Country (but that isn't essential as I would travel further to get it sorted) that could take a look and hopefully sort the problem out for me - any help greatly appreciated.
Charlie

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Possibly a small vacuum leak will cause a high idle. I’d go over all the connections close to TB and look closely at the ISCV. Could also be a sticky AC idle up valve. What does RPM do when AC engaged?

Jimb

charliemister2

Post by charliemister2 »

Hi Jimb and thanks for the reply - car is sat in the garage as we speak - I will at some stage today run it up and once she’s warmed through will check revs once AC engaged and get back to you.
Cheers again
Charlie

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”