Rev 2 instrument cluster issue

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Keir28

Rev 2 instrument cluster issue

Post by Keir28 »

Yesterday I bought a 1993 MK2. I really don't know a lot about these cars so any information regarding the workings of the instrument cluster would be of great help.

The car runs fine and the engine seems to rev out okay but the instrument cluster seems to be upset.

The speedometer is quite inconsistent and reads about 10mph high, the fuel gauge doesn't seem to work at all and the tachometer seems to work okay up to about 3.5K rpm then it wont really go much higher.

The volt meter and the temperature do seem to work fine.

I know the car had some issues with the targa top leaking so maybe that hasn't helped.
Mr Bean.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stanneh

Re: Rev 2 instrument cluster issue

Post by stanneh »

The Capacitors in these gauges are notorious for failing(Leaking or Drying up)

That car is nearly 30 years old and in fairness those capacitors have already survived long passed their recommended use so its time.

I recently did the Capacitors in my ECU also and it fixed a whole host of niggling issues, Changing the ones in my 92 turbo clocks was basically the first thing I did to my car when I bought it.

There are already Top Notch tutorials here for replacing your capacitors and don't be afraid to have a go if your generally a capable person just don't rush and come correct.

If you are near me, S. Wales I would be happy to help you out.

stanneh

Post by stanneh »

Nice car by the way :)

stanneh

Post by stanneh »

Top tip just unplug your ECU and take off the top 4 screws on the cover and inspect the capacitors its almost a certainty there is a capacitor leaking by now and that electrolyte it leaks is super corrosive, when I opened mine the very first cap in sight had leaked and damaged the the top surface layer of the circuit board exposing the traces I removed the cap, cleaned it thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol added a new capacitor, tested it all was fine, so I took it back out and I used electrical epoxy, manufacturer's tend to use it on corners of microchips to stop them lifting under hot conditions, I used this to repair the surface of the board where the tracks were exposed.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to check the state of those capacitors in your ECU.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”