mk2 turbo gearbox failure

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Luke2152
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

mk2 turbo gearbox failure

Post by Luke2152 »

Not having much luck at the moment! I think my gearbox has failed in a major way. Surprisingly didn't do so under any kind of load in fact I was doing about 2mph when the back wheels locked (thank f*ck I wasn't travelling at speed).

Now I can select all gears and drive forwards or backward a couple of metres before it stops violently. In neutral with a wheel jacked up I can turn the wheel easily by hand until it locks up. There is a consistant 1 and 3/4 wheel rotations of freeplay.

Locking under these conditions I can only think it is a failure at one point of the crown gear with the pinion driving ok on the rest of the crown gear. The thing is that doesn't seem like the sort of failure that happens suddenly without doing anything brutal. Anyone else think of anything?

I'd built the gearbox myself with a Quaife LSD a couple of years ago and only done a couple of hundred miles so I expect it's probably my workmanship or that I missed identifying a failing component. It gave a couple of warnings making a bit of a clunk and then immediately going back to perfect operation before I had a chance to figure out where it was coming from in the days prior to failure.

Luckily I have a spare E153 box in my shed although I don't really have the time to go fitting it at the moment much less rebuilding it.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: mk2 turbo gearbox failure

Post by benckj »

Very rare to find a stock box that fails like your description. They tend to wear out synchros and bend/ break shift forks. You won’t know the problem until it’s removed and split apart. Keep us posted as the LSD used is top notch and unlikely to be the fault.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

diff fail. gearbox in neutral shouldn't lock wheels. gearbox pretty tough

Topic author
Luke2152

Post by Luke2152 »

Yes but failed diff shouldn't lock wheels either. Failed diff should make them turn together or not at all.

Topic author
Luke2152

Post by Luke2152 »

As a follow up:
It was the bolts on the crown gear had come loose. One of them had come out far enough to make contact with other gears and cause a little havoc.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Thanks for letting us know, its a pretty unusual failure.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”