Traction Control Light stuck on

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
joannaz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Traction Control Light stuck on

Post by joannaz »

Hey!

I recently got an MR2 1992 Turbo import with traction control, however the traction control off light is always on, even if I press the TRC button.

I’ve attached a picture of the light. It comes on and turns off when the ignition is on, but once you start the car it pops back up again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose or fix this?

Thanks in advance!!

Joanna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Traction Control Light stuck on

Post by jimi »

Does your car have ABS ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
joannaz

Post by joannaz »

I’m not too sure if it has ABS but I’m going to assume it does if it has traction control. I wonder if the light is broken on the dash as it doesn’t come on with the ignition. I’ll see if I can double check this as I believe the ABS unit is in the frunk?

If so, I’ll replace the bulb (I hope it should be straightforward) and look into why that’s broken.

I think there’s a guide to reading ABS fault codes for MR2s floating on here so I’ll take a look at that once I’ve got the bulb fixed.

Thank you!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Topic author
joannaz

Post by joannaz »

Thanks! Also do you know what bulb the ABS light uses? I haven’t gotten around to it yet but I want to have the bulb on hand before trying to remove the instrument cluster so if it is the bulb I can switch it out immediately.

I tried to have a look online but I couldn’t find it :(

Topic author
joannaz

Post by joannaz »

Also my Power Steering light came on yesterday and the switching the car on and off 20 times didn’t help so I guess that’s another thing I need to look into and fix! 🤪

Topic author
joannaz

Post by joannaz »

So an update with the Power Steering, I popped open the fuse box cover in the frunk and that magically unstuck the relay so that’s working now!

ABS bulb was blown. I found some spare ones lying around to replace the ABS light. Apparently they’re T3 bulbs but I haven’t confirmed it.

Did the fault code test and the ABS light gave me error codes 34 and 36, which pointed to the passenger side (right) rear wheel.

Unplugged the sensor and saw it was open circuit which confirmed it was the broken one.

Took 3 days to get the old sensor out as it was pretty rusted in! 😂 Bought a Lexus is200 replacement pair for £50 as I couldn’t find OEM ones (and they were pretty expensive!)

Had to sand down the is200 ones to fit the MR2 and use the existing MR2 ABS wiring so we soldered them back together and used a bit of heat shrink and job done!

I thought maybe we needed to replace the other wheel sensor as well, but so far it looks to have done the job. Fingers crossed!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Excellent news :th: good to know the fault codes helped to find the problem sensor.
A pair of Lexus sensors for £50 is a fair saving over the MR2 ones :cool1:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”