Post Rebuild Remap?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
KianIRL

Post Rebuild Remap?

Post by KianIRL »

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum so hope I'm posting in the right place.

My Rev2 3sgte has been fully rebuilt from the ground up, it still has less than 100miles on it.

Part of the rebuild I had the block bored and resurfaced the cylinders and there is now .50 oversized pistons to fill the gap. Everything else is mostly stock. Brand new Ct26 turbo with HKS valve but I now have a turbo back Japspeed exhaust.

Will my AFR be off now on the standard 'map' and injectors with the new oversized pistons? I'm not looking for massive power so I never went down the standalone ECU road but will I or a tuning shop be able to fix my AFR without having to go down the standalone route.

Thanks
Kian 👍

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Post Rebuild Remap?

Post by SonicSW20 »

You cannot tune the standard ECU. If your VE has changed then yes your map will be slightly out, however the change in VE from .5mm oversized pistons is very small, it won't be an issue.

If you do want to tune it your best option is a standalone ECU. Piggybacks are not worth it as you're ultimately limited by the ancient standard ECU.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
KianIRL

Post by KianIRL »

Okay thanks, I figured as much as the car is running very smoothly but needed a bit of piece of mind.

Once the engine is broken in I may consider getting a standalone ECU. The engine should be ready for a nice jump in power with all the work done to it. Still a lot of fun stock tho so I'm in no rush

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

What do you call a brand new CT26 turbo ? The stock CT26 is very limiting power wise and going to an aftermarket ECU with one is a waste of time.

Topic author
KianIRL

Post by KianIRL »

MR2DI4 wrote: 11/10/21 3:22 What do you call a brand new CT26 turbo ? The stock CT26 is very limiting power wise and going to an aftermarket ECU with one is a waste of time.
There's a fully refurbished Ct26 on the car atm as the old one was not in good condition. As I said I'm not looking for big power upgrades atm. Everything was replaced to be as stock as possible.

Main concern is the AFR being off because of the head being bored and oversized pistons being put in. I'd only go ECU road if this would have been a problem that needed fixing

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”