Undercoat / seal

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Charlieepie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Undercoat / seal

Post by Charlieepie »

Hi all, me again!

Car has just been into the body shop for a couple of minor wheel arch repairs and they also had her up on the lift to have a look at the sills (they’re fine!).

They told me when I collected her that shes dirty underneath and starting to show some signs of surface rust, not too surprising given that I’ve driven her on gritted / snowy roads lately. They advised a coating of waxoyl after a good clean but said they don’t do it as it’s a filthy job!

Anyway I’ve asked my normal garage to do this early Jan. They recommended putting a more heavy duty coating underneath instead - either Raptor or Gravitex. The same garage looked at her during her service in august and told me it’s one of the best (corrosion wise) MR2s they’ve seen so I don’t think any rust is serious but I can’t see it very well without lifting her up!

Looking online these aren’t really for the same purpose as Waxoyl - waxoyl being a rust treatment and protection and these just being a super heavy duty protective membrane.

Anyone got positive / negative experience with any of them, just really unsure about putting the protecting stuff on top of the beginnings of surface rust?

nick

Re: Undercoat / seal

Post by nick »

Waxoyl is excellent at protecting from rust, but be prepared to repeat the process every couple of years

Wheelnut

Post by Wheelnut »

Waxy underbody seal is very good but needs brushing on. Would use a Bilthamber coating if spraying, expensive but goes a long way, would need recoating 2 to 3 years.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I've heard a lot of good reports on Raptor, normally any rust is treated before it's applied.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

if you are really looking to spend the time/money to have it done properly then i would consider having the underside totally stripped of the old undersealer as this will reveal any areas that will potentially cause future issues, the factory undersealer hides alot.
Once its stripped have it sprayed in an etch/epoxy primer and then an undercoating of your choice, my suggestion would be raptor or gravitex.
waxoyl is old tech and hasnt moved along with the times it was primerilly a cavity wax although they did sell some undersealers too.
for cavity wax i would look at dynax s50 or the dinitrol equivalent.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Topic author
Charlieepie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Charlieepie »

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm looking at getting the underside stripped and re-coated, this is what the garage have quoted me for (labour only, I need to buy the stuff myself, and need to get that sorted as she's booked in 5th Jan!).

I think I'll go for the raptor/gravitex coating but I'll speak to the garage and make sure they're going to treat the corrosion first. The guy that's doing it is the one that usually works on their old cars so I think he's knows what he's doing.

Looking at buying this stuff - https://www.raptorcoatings.com/uk/en-uk ... bX5yC-l3q0 obviously more than 1 bottle!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”