E153 speed sensor plug help.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sixphredd

E153 speed sensor plug help.

Post by sixphredd »

Hello, I was hoping someone can help me..

One of the pins in my speed sensor plug has snapped off, they look to be oxidised.

I had a great idea....

I ordered a Hilux speed sensor off ebay as the plugs are basically the same, I was going to swap the plug part over and that would be that, well, not quite the case, they're different on the inside (Could be because the one I bought on eBay was a cheap copy maybe).

Ill attach the photos.

But now I'm after ideas, or even better a solution, maybe someone is selling a new plug part or maybe the sensor?

Thanks in advance.

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
sixphredd

Re: E153 speed sensor plug help.

Post by sixphredd »

Few more images.

Topic author
sixphredd

Post by sixphredd »

Few more images

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Synz »

I couldn't find a new one anywhere, not even an aftermarket copy. I ended up getting one secondhand from a guy in the Netherlands.

It would be a cheap fix but maybe you could just solder the pin back on, I'm surprised the inside is that much different. Do you have any pictures of the inner?
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Not wishing to be pedantic, but that's a socket, the plug is the part that goes into it. If you turn it over what does the other side look like ?
Edit
Pics here http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/speedsensor.html

Complete. VSS
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182868166044 ... SwtLxcdsW3
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Bit of a bodge, but since the alternatives seem very expensive/ impossible to find, with some very careful butchery it should be possible to solder one of these to your existing foobar sensor and the mating half in place of the harness plug
41OgdNXnobL._AC_SX425_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

3rd party ones are certainly available, I bought one a few years ago via ebay. The same sensor is used in several Toyota's, including some Corolla, Camry, Celica, RAV4, Carina, and a few others. You can check the parts catalogue to see which specific engine / transmission combinations have it.

Note that the gear is a separate part and is discontinued so take care when removing it and transferring to a new sensor.

OEM are still available new, you'd be paying somewhere around the £250 mark from the dealer I'd expect, possibly more.

Amayama (genuine part) list it for for £109.51 + shipping + tax from UAE, so you'd be looking at somewhere around £150 to your door taxes paid, less if it sneaks through customs sans tax.
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8318112050

This one is super cheap on Aliexpress and claims to be the right PN, but the images look different. Might be worth a punt at that price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000965573060.html

Two on ebay that match the PN, again images are different but they may be using incorrect / generic images. I suspect these are from the same supplier as the Aliexpress one and they're making a tidy profit, but from a customer perspective its now UK seller / stock and as such any return process should be much simpler:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224261117882
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264753535352

Its up to you to verify the PN's yourself, just in case I've made a mistake with any links etc.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
sixphredd

Post by sixphredd »

Morning, thank you for all the replies, I wasn't expecting a quick response.

I tried uploading more photos, but for some reason they haven't uploaded.

The bottom one is the original, the top is the Hilux or Rav one that I bought off ebay.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Looks like some kind of Hall effect sensor, the original is probably similar under the centre cover, looks like the locating lugs on the spigot are different as well.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

SonicSW20 wrote: 16/12/21 10:28 The same sensor is used in several Toyota's, including some Corolla, Camry, Celica, RAV4, Carina, and a few others. You can check the parts catalogue to see which specific engine / transmission combinations have it.
https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=83 ... J=on&mG=on
This one is super cheap on Aliexpress and claims to be the right PN, but the images look different. Might be worth a punt at that price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000965573060.html
At that price it's worth a try ;)

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Synz »

SonicSW20 wrote: 16/12/21 10:28 3rd party ones are certainly available, I bought one a few years ago via ebay. The same sensor is used in several Toyota's, including some Corolla, Camry, Celica, RAV4, Carina, and a few others. You can check the parts catalogue to see which specific engine / transmission combinations have it.
I read the same but all the pictures looked different and I didn't want to risk paying and getting the wrong part, as you said maybe just stock photos.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”