Brake caliper mark 2 numbers

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sanj

Brake caliper mark 2 numbers

Post by Sanj »

Hi all. I have a 1992 mk2 and I needed a new rear brake caliper which I ordered from eurocarparts on an exchange basis. They sent me one with 16v stamped on it. I had it changed but when I sent the old one back I remembered it had 22v stamped on it. The caliper has seized again. What do these numbers mean and should I get a 22v if that was marked on the one that came off? Thanks

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Brake caliper mark 2 numbers

Post by martin42006 »

With brakes you should always fit what came off especially if only changing one.
the number stamped on the caliper is the disk size so 16v is a 16mm vented disk, 22v is a 22mm vented disk
The pistons are also different sizes between the 16v and 22v calipers.

In a nutshell yes change it back to a 22v caliper before you have an accident.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”