Power Steering ECU variants

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
batsm

Power Steering ECU variants

Post by batsm »

Hi all,

I have recently been looking for a new power steering ECU for my 1998 Rev 5 n/a, as my current one has died. I am running into an issue with the serial codes however, the sticker on the side of my current one says the serial number is 89650-17050, however I am struggling to find a replacement with this exact serial code so I was wondering if they were interchangable? I have read that earlier variants (pre 1993 versions) are different, but I am wondering if I would be able to swap it out for any other 93 or later ECU? Or if anyone would know which other serial codes would work with mine?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Power Steering ECU variants

Post by jimi »

89650-17050 is a part number not a serial number, your car must be an import as that's a JDM part number, it's also for an early car (1991->1993)
The number for a later car is 89650-17081 (1994-07 ->)

Searching the JDM EPC shows this
JDM PS ECU.JPG

Searching the Europe EPC shows this
Europe PS ECU.JPG
BUT I can't say if that will work with your car or not, it's very strange that it has an early ECU fitted.
You say yours is a 1998 Rev 5 ? Is that the build date or the registration (after import) date ? the actual build date can be found by putting the cars VIN into the EPC
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
batsm

Post by batsm »

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it!

From what I can tell, the car is most likely not an import, I have done VIN checks etc. The power steering hasn't been working since I purchased the car(it hasnt really bothered me that much but I do want to get it working), so what I think is most likely is that the previous owner tried to replace it but has purchesed the incorrect one?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

batsm wrote: 02/06/22 19:57 Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it!

From what I can tell, the car is most likely not an import, I have done VIN checks etc. The power steering hasn't been working since I purchased the car(it hasnt really bothered me that much but I do want to get it working), so what I think is most likely is that the previous owner tried to replace it but has purchesed the incorrect one?
That sounds quite possible, if you PM me the VIN I'll check it in the EPC, that give the build date & market and will ensure you have the correct part number for the car.

Topic author
batsm

Post by batsm »

jimi wrote: 02/06/22 22:16 That sounds quite possible, if you PM me the VIN I'll check it in the EPC, that give the build date & market and will ensure you have the correct part number for the car.
Yes thats probably a good idea, before I go out spending money on the wrong part! :p

Pm'd

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

batsm wrote: 03/06/22 13:41
jimi wrote: 02/06/22 22:16 That sounds quite possible, if you PM me the VIN I'll check it in the EPC, that give the build date & market and will ensure you have the correct part number for the car.
Yes thats probably a good idea, before I go out spending money on the wrong part! :p

Pm'd
Replied :th:

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

batsm wrote: 02/06/22 19:57 From what I can tell, the car is most likely not an import, I have done VIN checks etc.
It's very easy to tell whether the car is an import or not. Look at the VIN plate in the frunk.
See pics here - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... -code.html
UK cars start with JT163. JDM ones don't.

The letters/numbers should correspond with what's on the V5C Registration document.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
batsm

Post by batsm »

TonyleFrog wrote: 04/06/22 6:58 It's very easy to tell whether the car is an import or not. Look at the VIN plate in the frunk.
See pics here - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... -code.html
UK cars start with JT163. JDM ones don't.

The letters/numbers should correspond with what's on the V5C Registration document.
That's good to know! I have checked the one on the car and it does start with JT163. Looks like the one that the one that was on the car already was just the wrong one :p

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”