Idle issues (checked the forum too)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mossy1664

Idle issues (checked the forum too)

Post by Mossy1664 »

Hi all,

3sgte Japanese import Rev1,

I have a strange idle issue. When running at a standstill from starting it idles at around 950rpm. On plugging in the MS ecu it has fitted, it’s idling with around 17degrees ignition advance.

However, when driving and coming to a stop, it idles at just under 2k and then very slowly creeps down back to 950rpm.

Coolant temps on the gauge read fine. But studying the coolant temp on the ECU with my laptop it reads 90degrees C.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Idle issues (checked the forum too)

Post by jimi »

Mossy1664 wrote: 13/06/22 18:55 Hi all,

3sgte Japanese import Rev1,

I have a strange idle issue. When running at a standstill from starting it idles at around 950rpm. On plugging in the MS ecu it has fitted, it’s idling with around 17degrees ignition advance.
How can you start it without the ECU plugged in ?
Mossy1664 wrote: 13/06/22 18:55 However, when driving and coming to a stop, it idles at just under 2k and then very slowly creeps down back to 950rpm.
Sounds like a sticky ISCV
Mossy1664 wrote: 13/06/22 18:55 Coolant temps on the gauge read fine. But studying the coolant temp on the ECU with my laptop it reads 90degrees C.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks
What's wrong with 90°C ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Mossy1664

Post by Mossy1664 »

Apologies, my bad wording. I meant plugged the ECU into the laptop.

Nothing I guess? I just thought that would help someone diagnose if it was a little high?

I think my O2 sensor may be dead also. It’s a single wire spliced into a wire running into the little plastic shield between the cam belt cover and the cam cover.
It doesn’t give a reading on the software when set to narrow band or wide band O2. And the DC voltmeter on it when running was around 0.1v and 0.08v fluctuating a lot

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

IIRC standard thermostat opening range is 80/84 C so I'd say is perfectly normal.
Not familiar with how a MS (megasquirt ?) ECU operates but on a standard ECU the timing is set by linking out TE1 & E1 on the check connector which locks the timing ( it stops the ECU varying it) at 10 deg BTDC if it's not 10deg then adjust it. I don't know if that is still applicable to a MS ecu.
Still sounds to me like the ISCV is sticking causing it to take time to reduce the idle rpm to normal, not an uncommon problem with MK2's

Topic author
Mossy1664

Post by Mossy1664 »

Thanks Jimi. I’ll look into the ISCV.

Yeah, the MS ECU is useful for plugging into the laptop and checking the readings, but it looks like it’s a bit of a butchers job from whoever fitted it. The car runs well and pulls hard, but there are just little issues like this idle problem and also fuel cutting while at full boost. It cuts and then instantly accelerates again through it. So no idea what that is.. I’ll have the work on that when I’ve solved this idle problem.

But again, much appreciated for your help! I currently have the gauges out changing the bulbs haha

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Came across these videos on the Tube, might be of use to someone ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”