2zz emissions help

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
2zz-ge

2zz emissions help

Post by 2zz-ge »

Hello, I have a mk2 with 2zz engine swap. The car is in fact vinp182s old black car that he swapped the 2zz.
Basically it won't go through emissions and the co and hydrocarbons are catastrophic.
i bought the car from my friend (he bought it from vinny). It had jdm ecu a mwr manifold into 1zz down pipe/cat and a team moon. My friend had a custom 2.5" down pipe and 200 cell cat put in mating up to the team moon as it was 2.5" already. He hasn't used the car for a year, so I've bought it from him and gone for an mot (I'm a tech at a main dealer)
It had the eml on but only just failed on co at fast idle 0.4 and should've been 0.3 or less, but the hydrocarbons were great, 54.
The eml was bank 1 02 sensor not switching at all so it got a new denso sensor and now no eml. But I now have 1.2% co and 450 HC even at idle. I've got the car hot (very hot!) because of the sports cat.
It's had oil and filter change (old oil stunk of fuel) and fresh shell nitro. Battery has been off and reset ecu. All vac hoses look ok and nothing will bring the emissions down.
I've got the exhaust shop to put a 400 cell cat in place of the 200 and it's still 1.2% co.
With the bank 1 sensor disconnected the co goes to nearly 8%!
With the after cat sensor disconnected nothing happens at all, no eml.
It's obviously running very rich indeed but I can't figure out why. I can't imagine a faulty new denso sensor? I have seen the bank 1 sensor goes in cylinder 4 primary on the manifold, I would've thought it needed to go after the collector??
I'm thinking I might have to power fc the car just to get it through the mot! :crybaby:
Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: 2zz emissions help

Post by SonicSW20 »

The fact that it got much worse with the new sensor in suggests the new sensor is at fault tbh.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:The fact that it got much worse with the new sensor in suggests the new sensor is at fault tbh.
That's what I thought too :th:

One of the sensors in the mwr manifold isn't actually wired into the ecu as the 2zz only requires 1 post cat and 1 pre cat so both the manifold ones could be swapped round for testing :th:

I wondered where that car had disappeared to. I did a check on it not long ago and showed up as not taxed or mot'd since July 15 I think :sad:
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
2zz-ge

Post by 2zz-ge »

Yeah unfortunately the sensor isn't long enough, the wire is too short!
My friend didn't use it that much. It sat on his drive or 8 months unused. I'm going to be using it a lot though!
I think I need to try another sensor first. If I do go power fc who can map it relatively locally to me in Kent?

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Ryan @ 2bar tuning mate :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Best of luck with that unless you can catch him. He jets around all over nowadays (I think he was at Bradenton Raceway in Florida on Monday and is probably in Dubai now) plus if it ain't a Syvecs you'll be the back of the queue. That's not a gripe btw, just a reality check.

Finding someone else who can do a proper job with a PowerFC in a MR2 is a 'mare especially for those of us living in the Garden of England. The world has moved on considerably since the Apexi was king of the hill.

Charlie at Surrey Rolling Road is the person most likely to know (other than the man himself) when Ryan will next be gracing our shores.

@ 2zz-ge, where in Kent are you?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

headcase
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase »

200 cell cats work brill in 2zz Sandras is 0.05 on her 2zz hc 15 . block the lambda holes up in manifold and move the first lambda to were it can read the whole exhaust gases not just out of one branch of manifold ,

Steve-M-UK
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Steve-M-UK »

This ^ , on a 2zz the o2 needs to see the output of all four cylinders, if it's in one of the manifold branches it's only seeing output from one or two depending on where its placed, hence it trying to richen all the time. The 1zz works differently as it has two primary O2s , one for each paired bank of cylinders.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Topic author
2zz-ge

Post by 2zz-ge »

Ok thanks guys. Getting the primary 02 sensor moved to the collector as per headcases car and two new sensors fitted.
I will update next weeked with hopefully good news and an MOT!
Have a good easter

Topic author
2zz-ge

Post by 2zz-ge »

Now mot'd and back on the road :D

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Great news :th:

Any recent pics?
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
2zz-ge

Post by 2zz-ge »

Sorry about the slow reply, car is running great. Went to Wales for my annual driving trip with a mate of mine and got a few snaps. Got my wheels on too now, facelift wheels with AD08R tyres. Looks better with original wheels.
Just need some facelift bumpers/lights and a supercharger now!

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Looking great dude. That's exactly where I took it to test the 2zz conversion out :cool1:
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
cptspaulding

Post by cptspaulding »

Having similar troubles with mine although mine is using the adapted Celica manifold.

Did your repositioning of the primary sensor fix your emissions issue?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”