oil burning 1ZZ-FE- now with pics of the piston problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

raymondbacon

Re: oil burning 1ZZ-FE- now with pics of the piston problem

Post by raymondbacon »

The ones I got from US just have the 4 holes, the same as the ones coming out. By the time they clog up again, the car will be long gone! My car is an 05, so I was expecting to see the later type pistons.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

raymondbacon wrote:....By the time they clog up again, the car will be long gone!..
Nice!!! :no:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

d-peg wrote:
raymondbacon wrote:....By the time they clog up again, the car will be long gone!..
People like him really should not be allowed to even be on these forums :shocked:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

as far as i can see as long as the oil changes are kept up and a good quality synthetic oil is used there shouldnt be an issue.

kentsmudger

Post by kentsmudger »

Protok wrote:
d-peg wrote:
People like him really should not be allowed to even be on these forums :shocked:
For no related reason, does the OC forum software have an ignore feature?

:blowup:

raymondbacon

Post by raymondbacon »

Sorry for the late reply, the new pistons had the same size holes as the old style ones, so I just put it back together. Passed mot not run in and without the pre cats. At least it has stopped burning oil.
had to top up the header, so hope it's just air and not a leaky head gasket. Was very careful to use new gaskets and bolts and followed the Haynes manual for the corolla which has same engine. Overall a hard and difficult job which I would not tackle again, I would take a gamble and go for a recon with a warranty.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Interesting pictures, however that piston is hardly worn. It has barely got through the teflon coating let alone seriously got into the alloy. I was expecting something really bad so I'm guessing the problem has to to with either the abrasive cat material embedding in the alloy piston and eating the cylinder bore in one place.Hard to tell from the pic but that ring looks eaten when it should be nice and shiney. In any case you sure what to stop any possibility of it happening again after a rebuild !

Topic author
dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

the main problem with the <03 pistons is the size and quantity of the oil return holes.
they are quite small and clog easily which means that the oil scraper ring cannot do its job and the oil gets burnt.
not saying it isnt possible but i couldnt see any way that the break up of the precats could cause the cat material to get drawn into the chamber anyway. as far as i could tell they are too far downstream of any EGR port (couldnt see one of those either) to get drawn back in. like i say im not saying it couldnt happen just i couldnt see any mechanism for it

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”