Changing the soft top from plastic to mohair !

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Cayde-6

Re: Changing the soft top from plastic to mohair !

Post by Cayde-6 »

carolineasb wrote: 25/06/17 11:29 If you Google Jack R Smith in Swansea lots of info comes up. It's his son that runs it, I believe.

Costs just over £300 for supply and fit from other posts I've seen, although I don't think it's true mohair but maybe others on here who have had one fitted can tell you what it is and how good it is? He seems to get a good name.
I'm gonna call these guys on Monday but in the meantime can anyone confirm that £300 is accurate? That sounds like an absolute steal if it is?

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

Yes, they have always been cheaper than everywhere else in Swansea. The last price I heard was around £300.

(They are fabric and not mohair). They do a few colours but the black is the best quality material.

I put fabsil waterproofer on mine to stop dirt etc getting into the fabric.

demetriz

Post by demetriz »

Topdownman wrote: 30/09/18 7:54 (They are fabric and not mohair). They do a few colours but the black is the best quality material.
Why would the colour affect the ‘quality’ of the hood? Is it not the same material in a different colour? I am confused.

Also, has anyone been to Jack in Swansea lately? What are his prices these days?

Also, would he sell me just the material without the glass, as I am in Cyprus and won’t be able to drive to Swansea to have it fitted 🤪

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

demetriz wrote: 04/05/23 5:13
Topdownman wrote: 30/09/18 7:54 (They are fabric and not mohair). They do a few colours but the black is the best quality material.
Why would the colour affect the ‘quality’ of the hood? Is it not the same material in a different colour? I am confused.

Also, has anyone been to Jack in Swansea lately? What are his prices these days?

Also, would he sell me just the material without the glass, as I am in Cyprus and won’t be able to drive to Swansea to have it fitted 🤪
They are not the same material apparently. Their prices did go up more than usual recently due to the high price of things at the moment. The last price I heard was £380 I think but could be more now.

I also seem to remember hearing that they would not post roofs out so doubt that they would post abroad. They are a small team with a large waiting list and so there is no reason for them to do anything different or complicated!

You would have to ring them though to ask as that is the only way to contact them.

demetriz

Post by demetriz »

Topdownman wrote: 05/05/23 9:42
demetriz wrote: 04/05/23 5:13

They are not the same material apparently. Their prices did go up more than usual recently due to the high price of things at the moment. The last price I heard was £380 I think but could be more now.

I also seem to remember hearing that they would not post roofs out so doubt that they would post abroad. They are a small team with a large waiting list and so there is no reason for them to do anything different or complicated!

You would have to ring them though to ask as that is the only way to contact them.

I did indeed ring them, and they said they struggle to get in the hoods they need for their fittings, so would not be able to send any out.

I ended up buying a new aftermarket Vynil one off eBay from the USA for $300... I was supposed to also pay €90 import tax here in Cyprus, but they didn't charge me for some reason.

It's been sitting in the box in my kitchen for a month... I'm trying to muster the bravery to fit it myself! :no:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Is there not an auto trimmer local to you that could fit it ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

I managed to fit my monsoon hood on my own so you'll be fine.
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”