Ok to drive with PO135 code?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
neilw

Ok to drive with PO135 code?

Post by neilw »

I've driven the car 770 miles and loved every one of them, but in the last day I've had the check engine light with code PO135 which is the heater circuit of O2 sensor 1.

I cleared it and it came back after 3 journeys, so it's not just occasional.

I asked my garage and they said try normal fuel (I've been using V-power) although he said I'd probably need a new sensor, it was worth ruling out.

Should I just get it replaced now?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Ok to drive with PO135 code?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Heater circuit not working won't damage the car, but you won't pass an MOT with the light on. Coming back after a few journeys is expected, if your code reader can read pending codes you'll see the code pop up after the first start. The ECU waits until it sees the condition a few times before it'll actually put the light on.

P0135 is bank 1 sensor 1 which is one of the ones in the manifold - the heater element of the o2 just gets the o2 sensor up to operating temperature faster which is better for efficiency / emissions. The post cat o2 sensor may not work right at all without the heater element as EGT's are lower there.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
neilw

Post by neilw »

Just a quick update - the light went out by itself, but then came back (same code) - so on Friday I ordered the removal tool and a Denso O2 sensor from sparkplugs.

They arrived the next day and I fit the new plug in about 5 minutes - proper easy job I was amazed! The old sensor's wires were all cracked where they entered the sensor, so that's why it was giving a fault, either broken connection or a short.

The new sensor is working fine and I've no engine light warning after several long journeys! Very happy.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nice easy fix :th:
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

CunningLinguist
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by CunningLinguist »

Any idea of part numbers ordered from sparkplugs please?

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

CunningLinguist
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by CunningLinguist »

Marvellous! Many thanks for hopping in with an answer.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”