MR2 MK2 TO MR2 MK3-UPDATE

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dinono10

MR2 MK2 TO MR2 MK3-UPDATE

Post by dinono10 »

Hi all,

Following on my sale of the BMW, I have decided I want to buy a MK3 M2. I currently have a MR2 REV5 in Red, I use this as a daily driver and have done for the last 7 years.

There is quite abit wrong with it and now I have decided I will buy a MK3. Preferably in Red/Black. I have £3000 to spend. I would prefer to get a post facelift model because I have read about them having potentially less problems and I like the updated look.

In regards to my budget £3000, what should I expect to buy, mileage wise etc...I have looked around for a red one but unless I am prepared to travel 200+ miles (I live in Brighton) I am kind of stuck...

I have seen a black one more locally with low milage and post facelift however I am really dubious unless it is from a respected dealer...I went to see a red post facelift model on Sunday in Uckfield. It looked nice and the owner seemed genuine enough...I went home and done some research, it was a CAT S :ranting1: ...Nice of him to inform me before travelling to see it....

Anyway. With £3000 (prefer to spend a little less) what should I hope to get?? :confused1:
Last edited by dinono10 on 29/04/18 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: MR2 MK2 TO MR2 MK3

Post by vinp182 »

3k should get you a decent facelift roadster but you’d be extremely lucky for or to land on your doorstep

Personally I’d rather travel 200 miles for the right car rather than settle for something that’s closer
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

Yes I do agree. However if you travel 200+ miles and the paint work isn't ideal or there is something wrong with the car, it could be a wasted trip/money...

This is one I have considered :
https://www.glasshousecarsales.co.uk/to ... ck-6293980

What about a really low mileage pre-facelift model? Would that be worth considering although I understand it may have issues being a pre face-lift model. 1 owner in immaculate condition.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

I have enquired about this one:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... &logcode=p

The dealer (who is semi retired , works from home) said its having its MOT tomorrow and should pass if not, work will be done. Excellent condition, I won't be disappointed :rolleyes: ..No dents/scratches etc

I may go and look at it on Saturday seeing as its not a million miles away. Apart from being red, ticks all the boxes.

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

I know my wife is thinking about selling her sable roadster on a 2003 facelift with toyota gb bodykit and spolier less than 70k miles on it, new clutch last year, good history, underdash sub box and amp with a years MOT for the money your looking at. Where are you based? We are in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

oddshoes wrote: 17/04/18 21:00 I know my wife is thinking about selling her sable roadster on a 2003 facelift with toyota gb bodykit and spolier less than 70k miles on it, new clutch last year, good history, underdash sub box and amp with a years MOT for the money your looking at. Where are you based? We are in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire
I'm based in Brighton. However I really want one in red or black. There is actually a sable pearl grey less than a minute away from my work however its not what I would like.

I do appreciate you thinking of me though. Tempted to go to Lincoln at the weekend however it's such a long way from Brighton to view/purchase a car.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

If anyone else has a mr2 mk3 preferably 2003+ in red. Please let me know.

Topic author
JackieBlack

Post by JackieBlack »

I just bought one foe £3100 04 plate red with 66k on it had to do a 400 mile round trip, drive back was worth it!

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

JackieBlack wrote: 24/04/18 18:36 I just bought one foe £3100 04 plate red with 66k on it had to do a 400 mile round trip, drive back was worth it!
Congrats dude. Post some pics :)
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

JackieBlack wrote: 24/04/18 18:36 I just bought one foe £3100 04 plate red with 66k on it had to do a 400 mile round trip, drive back was worth it!
That's basically what I'm going to do Saturday. Get a train to Lincoln from Brighton and possibly drive it back. £3095...7000 miles on the clock. Brand new mot /service/tyres from a reputable forecourt.

In excellent condition apart from a small 1 inch tear to the hood not deep I believe (had pictures sent). USB stereo already fitted, saves me doing mine.

Kind of feel like I'm cheating on my red mr2 haha.. But there's alot wrong with it including a rust hole on the door /rusty wheel arches and needs quite abit spent on it. Its also done 154000 miles. I'll be keeping it.

When I look online to purchase a mr2 mk3 all I see is silver /grey/black, red seems to be a hard colour to track down especially with 2003+...

And yeah, show us your pictures!

Topic author
JackieBlack

Post by JackieBlack »

I haven't got any online to link to yet, I'll sort some soon though.

Topic author
dinono10

Re: MR2 MK2 TO MR2 MK3-UPDATE

Post by dinono10 »

So yesterday... I got a train from Brighton all the way up to Sheffield 😎😎...

Looked at a mr2 mk3 in red, being sold privately... I done my Mot history and HPI Checks before hand so I made sure it wouldnt be a wasted journey.

Cut a long story short.. I ended up buying it as it was in immaculate condition and looked exactly like it's photos. Bright red/leather interior /chrome in the interior.

A nice 240 miles drive home and got home before 9...

Will possibly get a Full service on it as well as wheel alignment. Apart from that and minor marks on the windscreen due to old wipers I imagine, I'm very happy with it.

So now I own 2 red MR2s...i will get pictures up at somepoint.

In regards to an air filter mainly for sound what does everyone recommend?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”