MR-2 vs MR-S?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Cayde-6

MR-2 vs MR-S?

Post by Cayde-6 »

Evening all

I used the search function and just got 100's of results that contain references to 'my Mrs says this or that'.

My query is this, I'm in the process of buying an MR-S. I understand that its an Mk3 MR2 built/marketed for a different country but I wondered if the differences are literally just a couple of badges or are there any other variations?

Go easy on me, this is my first post in this forum.

Cheers

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: MR-2 vs MR-S?

Post by vinp182 »

Most JDM cars (mr-s) don’t have an lsd as standard where as all uk cars do

The gear ratios are slightly different between the 2

JDM cars don’t come with factory alarm/immobiliser

JDM cars only have 2 o2 sensors where a UK car has 3

Standard obd2 readers won’t read fault codes on a JDM cars

The indicator stalk is on the opposite side to uk cars

I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Cayde-6

Post by Cayde-6 »

Sooo, without the LSD and the different gear ratios how different (better/worse) is it on the road. I had a Mk3 MR2 in 2004 and loved it. Will it be the same driving experience?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

You’ll probably not tell any difference at all unless you are driving it to its limits on track
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Cayde-6

Post by Cayde-6 »

Fair enough, thank you. We'll see how it is in the flesh.

SomeCallMeTim

Post by SomeCallMeTim »

I've got both a 2000 MR-S Japanese import and a 2005 UK face lift MR2. The MR-S has lower ratios for all 5 speeds, in fact 5th gear in the MR-S is still lower than 5th gear in the 6speed MR2. At 100mph in 5th in the MR-S you'll be doing 5000rpm and in 5th in the MR-2 you'd be at 4500rpm. 6th gear the MR2 is 4000rpm. Because of the lower and closer ratios the MR-S does feel more sprightly and feels more suited to UK roads. The gearbox in the MR-S is also probably the best gearbox in any car I've driven and I prefer it to the 6 speed.

Default spring rates are also quite a bit stiffer in my MR-S although I think this is the same for all pre facelift cars and soft and soggy facelift cars are easily fixed by fitting a set of decent coilers :-)

The other big difference in how they drive is my MR-S has an open diff whereas all UK cars have an LSD. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as there not a huge amount of power to play with it and just makes them behave a bit differently. Apples and oranges really and I still debate with myself as to which is best as both are fun.

I also find that having the indicator stalk on the right makes more sense and you get used to it quickly. However having two near identical cars with indicators on opposite sides I'm constantly getting mixed up and putting the wipers on by mistake!

Apart from that there's no difference really and parts are the same.

I've kept my MR-S mostly because I love that slick close ratio gear box so much :-)

Topic author
M07775

Post by M07775 »

SomeCallMeTim wrote: 15/05/18 10:06 I've got both a 2000 MR-S Japanese import and a 2005 UK face lift MR2. The MR-S has lower ratios for all 5 speeds, in fact 5th gear in the MR-S is still lower than 5th gear in the 6speed MR2. At 100mph in 5th in the MR-S you'll be doing 5000rpm and in 5th in the MR-2 you'd be at 4500rpm. 6th gear the MR2 is 4000rpm. Because of the lower and closer ratios the MR-S does feel more sprightly and feels more suited to UK roads. The gearbox in the MR-S is also probably the best gearbox in any car I've driven and I prefer it to the 6 speed.
Do you think so.

It is a great gearbox for windy country roads but first is a little low in my opinion for town use unless your willing to rev the engine

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

vinp182 wrote: 26/04/18 18:15

interesting my cheap E-Bay bluetooth reader works on both a 2000 Subaru Outback and the 2005 Subaru 3.0R which are both JDM imports.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

MR2DI4 wrote: 29/07/18 0:26
vinp182 wrote: 26/04/18 18:15

interesting my cheap E-Bay bluetooth reader works on both a 2000 Subaru Outback and the 2005 Subaru 3.0R which are both JDM imports.
You can change a simple line of code to get them working.
But the plug and play ones usually do not work, requires a third party application to change things.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
Cayde-6

Post by Cayde-6 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up taking the plunge. I haven't been online much for the last month or so due to real life. Its all calmed down now so I'll be looking to make the best use of the knowledge and resources on this forum to bring my MR-S up to a decent standard...I hope!

After I got it I took it to the local Toyota main dealer for an inspection, they had it for a day and said all it needs are new wipers. Apart from cosmetic issues its mechanically and structurally sound. I've been driving it for a month or so now and I'm inclined to agree.

The wipers are done now so next job is clear out the roof drains and then its time for the MOT.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”