Back end fishtailing when braking

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Russ69

Back end fishtailing when braking

Post by Russ69 »

Hi

Just purchased an 04 Red edition with 94k on the clock. Love it to bits as wanted one for a while. However, I have an issue when braking which is felt more the harder I brake. The rear end fishtails as though everything is loose. Also, when I turn into a left hand bend whether it be sweeping or tight, it's as though the R/O/S tyre has about 5 psi in it and the car wanders a bit. When turning into the opposite corner all feels quite tight.
The rear tyres are fairly new Falken 215's with 32psi. The front are older Toyo's with 28psi with around 3mm of tread left. There is no juddering/vibration when I brake.
Not a real nut n bolt man. Already de-milked the front headlights, cleaned and conditioned the roof and sorted the roof drain holes out but this problem is beyond me and can be a bit unsettling so not really throwing it about at the moment.
Any suggestions/fixes would be much appreciated
Thanks

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Back end fishtailing when braking

Post by vinp182 »

I’d guess at maybe a knackered shock/spring and or maybe a bush?

Could maybe be alignment?
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Russ69

Post by Russ69 »

Thanks for that. Is there an exploded view of the rear suspension layout anywhere as I guess there are a number of bushes that could have gone. Would be good to see exactly what could be causing the problem.
I see you are Walsall. Recently bought this from Walsall and had to replace front shocker when I bought it even though MOT had been done days before and shocker had obv leaked out ages before.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=129

not as much info on Mk3s in know your 2 but always worth a look.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”