Broken Key

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
--adam--

Broken Key

Post by --adam-- »

Hello. I only signed up yesterday and I already need some advice.

I have 1 key for my car (Used for remote unlocking + Transponder) and this morning it snapped clean in two.

The car still drives and all I need to do is hold the transponder near the ignition as I turn the key. This solution is worrying me and I want to know what my options are. I have seen replacement security systems for the MK3 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Could I get away with contacting a breaker and replacing the locks + ignition?

Thanks,

Adam

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Broken Key

Post by SonicSW20 »

You should just be able to get a new key made.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
--adam--

Re: Broken Key

Post by --adam-- »

OK so I'm I'm a better position now.

I have 2 key blades and 2 remote unlocking models. If I hold the models near the ignition they both unlock the starter and start the car.

One of the models also remotely locks and unlocks the car, the other does not. I have tried the remote programming 5 or 6 times on the second model and it simply doesn't work. The car doesn't go into the programming mode.

I'll look for other ways to programme the keyless entry and then make 2 flip keys.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”