Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kuneha

Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)

Post by Kuneha »

Hello,

I am having this knocking from the driveshaft and it's driving me crazy.

Having inspected it closely, the noise is in fact coming from the gearbox. The CV joints, wheel bearing and intermediate bearing all seem fine; no worrying noises.

Its quite annoying when you drive the vehicle as it just knocks back and forth when engine torque is applied.

Thoughts?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)

Post by MR2DI4 »

Sounds like there is no oil in the gearbox. Something has worn real bad and now there is loads of backlash in the gears. Suspect the gearbox has never had an oil change in its life.

Could be worn spline, what happens when you turn the shaft right as it enters the gearbox ?

Once you have a situation like this its only going to get worse as things begin to eat one another because of too much play.

1. Change the oil and put up with it until it dies.
2. Rebuild the gearbox.
3. Sell it and buy a MK2

Topic author
Kuneha

Post by Kuneha »

It does the same thing no matter where I turn the drive shaft from. The driveshaft is in good health with no play so as you suspect, it is likely an jnternal issue with the gearbox.

It strangely only does it on the right side.

Thanks for the help.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Kuneha wrote: 04/06/18 7:08 It does the same thing no matter where I turn the drive shaft from. The driveshaft is in good health with no play so as you suspect, it is likely an jnternal issue with the gearbox.

It strangely only does it on the right side.

Thanks for the help.
Have you dropped the oil out of the gearbox and inspected it ?

If a load of metal comes out with the oil you pretty much know its in the gearbox for sure.

Topic author
Kuneha

Post by Kuneha »

I haven't, but I can do if you advise it. It had a new clutch not long ago by the previous owner so I can only assume they changed the gearbox oil. I think I maybe even have a receipt for it.

Do you think some slightly thicker oil may reduce the noise?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”