Newbie saying hi!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Optimus Prime

Newbie saying hi!

Post by Optimus Prime »

Hi Guys!

I’m new to the forum and a new owner of an ’06 MR2. I’ve only had it a few weeks but I love the car, it’s such a hoot to hoon!

Since my ownership I’ve already blown the radiator and plan on flushing the system and fixing it this weekend.
I’ve done a ton of research which just gets me more excited about the car and what I’m going to do with it. Apart from the obvious (sorting out the rad) I’m slowly making a list of things to do.

At the moment I’m interested in a little more noise and giving it a good once over service. I’ve given the standard air box a little ‘mod’ but one I’m a little embarrassed to mention; I’ve drilled and grilled the base/side of the air box to give it some grunt (which worked!).

My next mission will be to gut the pre-cats and I might get an aftermarket exhaust (not too sure yet as I might go turbo next year and I’ll match the system to that setup if I go that way)

I plan on removing the sub frame and give it a rust treatment and paint spray as it was an advisory on the last MOT.

The original suspension springs are showing signs of their age so I’ll replace these with some Tein springs soon and get a 4 wheel alignment (obviously after I’ve sorted out the sub frame)

The paint work is cracking which is weird, I’ve never seen that before but a light respray will sort that out.

…the list goes on and I hope to share with you guys my experiences going forwards.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Newbie saying hi!

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Welcome to the Club :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I don't think you should have a problem with precats they were on the earlier models as far as I know :confused1:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
Optimus Prime

Re: Newbie saying hi!

Post by Optimus Prime »

Thanks,

All Mk3's had pre-cats. From what I understand the later models had modified piston rings to prevent warp and in-turn less likely to destroy the pre-cats and cause further problems. I'm led to believe they're only in there due to strict emission rules in certain parts of the US. removing them will have little to no effect on the emissions tests in the UK. plus the way I see it, it'll help clear the exhaust and perhaps gain 0.25 of a HP :laughing

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”