Traction control - On or Off?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Traction control - On or Off?

Post by Aerotus »

For MK3 owners 2003 and onwards, I heard that TC is standard. I have driven the car a few times now and was not able to really feel the car rotating (nothing like as easy to do in the GT86 which drifts at the slightest encouragement). I actually didnt realise it had TC, i never saw any warning lights flashing up so far.

Do you need to turn off TC to fully enjoy getting the tail out? I assume everyone turns off TC for autocrossing but do you use TC off in normal spirited driving? If so, how much more careful do you have to be to not lose control through snap oversteer? And why is the MK3 considered so much safer than its predecessors? Is it purely because of the added TC and stability?

Edit: i just checked and I dont have a TC or VSC button where its meant to be. I just have one non functional button with a red circle in the middle and the one to its right is almost like a hook, just another non functional block. Does this mean i have TC and VSC but no way of turning it off? I thought all MK3s had it. I'm confused now!

Aero

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Traction control - On or Off?

Post by vinp182 »

I’ve never seen a mk3 with traction control
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

The MR2 mk3 brochure that came with the car says it has TC but now I'm of the mind that it's only for the last model which had A/C and the weird autobox. Because the brochure also says it has 48 litres fuel tank and mine is more like 38!

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

I'm the same, never heard of a 2 with TC, however, I've never actually looked at an SMT (Semi Manual Transmission - is that the weird autobox you're talking about?) or asked anyone with one.

It's not just the final cars that had AC or the SMT, if fact, we have a TF300 and it has neither :)

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Yes the SMT. Seems they were cost cutting to the extent of giving manuals and brochures that covered every possible spec! The most confusing internet and brochure fact is the 48 litre fuel tank. Scared me when I filled up for the first time and only managed around 30 litres!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”