Gear knob thread pitch size?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Gear knob thread pitch size?

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone,

I noticed there aren't any decent weighted shift knobs on the market. The TRD one is tiny! I've seen a weighted custom shifter which has an M12 x 1.25 thread pitch.

Does anyone know if my 2003 mk3 uses the same thread size? Out of interest, do the mk1 and mk2 also have the same sized thread as mk3s?

Thanks!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Gear knob thread pitch size?

Post by MR2DI4 »

Not sure about the MK3 but the MK2 is M14 x 1.25mm.

Just stick a vernier caliper on yours. 1.25 looks very fine compared to 1.5.

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

I managed to confirm from another forum that M12 x 1.25 is the correct size for mk3s. Happy days i just bought a custom made TRD knob from ebay. One off as it is used.

novinno

Post by novinno »

My Mk2 has a thread of M12 with a 1.25 pitch.
However, it came with a non standard knob when I bought it and I have since changed it to an original one without problems.
I am doubtful a Mk2 lever has a M14 thread. :confused1:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yeah sorry guys just took the TRD rippoff knob off mine and its an M12 x 1.25mm thread.

The plain shaft below it required a 14mm ID modified aluminium boot holder. The TRD knobs are great but there is no specific boot holder I could find so had to modify a cheap E-Bay one on the lathe to fit.

Without the boot holder, the knob on its own is going to look like "censored". The stock knob has the boot holder built in and it flares out on the stick taper to hold it.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”