Have you experienced rust problems?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Have you experienced rust problems?

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone

I am taking my newly acquired MR2 to get it checked out for any rust issues. There is at least some surface rust underneath. It's a 2003 with 73k miles.

Have you ever cleaned the underbody and/or done any rust prevention treatment? What are your views on doing this? How much did it cost?Worth it or not? Thanks!

Aero

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Have you experienced rust problems?

Post by carolineasb »

My hubby (as a mechanic) will not put any underbody "paint" on. Most of the underside of both of our cars is not too bad, apart from the Y reg needed another rear subframe put on, which is a common problem in these cars as the nappy covers it and it's not even noticed at MOT time :(

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Got mine checked out today. Going to replace the rear subframe as it's quite rusted. The rest is just surface rust. Very good condition for a 2003 74k car.

I'm also getting the underbody all cleaned and treated with Dinitrol next week. Charging me 750 pounds all in claiming it is 10 hours labour and 150 for the Dinitrol. Seems quite expensive vs some other providers but they are just down my road so still better for me to use them.

Aero

MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

I’d reccomend removing you front/bonnet bay plastics and wheel well mate. I was quite surprised by how much corrosion was occuring under there

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”