Would like to buy an MR2?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 6 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cck23

Would like to buy an MR2?

Post by cck23 »

Hey, I'm looking to get a Mk3 MR2. Just looking for some general advice as I have never owned one before. A couple of things spring to mind, what is it like to get replacement parts such as a new hood or heated rear glass? IN fact, if the windscreen itself needed replacing, is it possible to get replacements given the car is not made anymore?

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Would like to buy an MR2?

Post by vinp182 »

Any windscreen place should be able to get you a new screen. The only hold up could be if the car is a Jap import as the glass is tinted differently

Jack smiths in South Wales do supply and fit new hoods for around £300
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
cck23

Post by cck23 »

Thanks for the speedy response, how about general things to look out for when buying a Mk3 ?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Rusty rear subframe usually on the inner and under drivers side
Oil burning (will smoke under hard acceleration)
Knackered steering UJ, the steering will feel notchy
Seized rear callipers

Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head

If budget allows I’d go for a 05+ model
Cars suck donkey balls

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Apparently there is a slight difference from PFL (99-late02 cars) to FL (late 02- late 06 cars) for the windscreen but the usual Autoglass etc will be able to get them pretty easily although there is sometimes a wait on them :( Your insurance should usually cover a replacement with just an excess to pay.

The rear window is a totally different kettle of fish :( I don't think anybody has found a reliable way of replacing that window without a new roof too :( Jack Smiths in Wales use your window for the next car so he may charge extra if you didn't have the window :( but his normal price as above is around the £300-320 mark. I think most insurers would write off a car if the rear window was smashed because they will go by Toyota OEM roof replacement prices which is likely well over £1K :(

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

PS if budget allows, I would try and go for one of the last cars from 2006 amd check the engine number on the UK MR2 Roadster FB page for the last updated engines which are much less likely to have engine failure from the problems with oil control rings/pistons.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 6 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”