Programming new remote keys

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chrisowen57

Programming new remote keys

Post by chrisowen57 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Does anyone know how many remotes can be programmed to a 2001 Mk3. I've bought a remote off Ebay which is supposed to work but it will not programme. I have the instructions for programming keys and if I use the function to check numbers, it tells me there are 3 remotes programmed already (locks cycle three times). Not sure what the max number is. Thanks

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Programming new remote keys

Post by TonyleFrog »

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
chrisowen57

Post by chrisowen57 »

Thanks for the reply. Any idea why it won't programme. It's supposed to be the right frequency and chip, according to the seller (I checked on car-keys-online.com to see what I needed).

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

There are two separate processes: pairing the alarm and programming the transponder chip.
Have you done both of them?

You may have a duff remote - https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=62660.0

Topic author
chrisowen57

Post by chrisowen57 »

I tried the locking / alarm first. Do you have to programme to the transponder first?

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

The link above suggests alarm first then transponder. To me that would be the logical order.
However I don't have a Mk3 so haven't needed to test that hypothesis.
Others on here do though, so hopefully they can help.

Reading the posts on the link would indicate that duff remote fobs off eBay are not unknown.

Topic author
chrisowen57

Post by chrisowen57 »

Thanks, I'll try again, then if it doesn't work, I'll contact the seller.

Lija

Post by Lija »

On my 2005 Mk3 I used the forum info on the "dance of the alarm" and the "dance of the imobiliser" and programmed a blank key yesterday by the methods mentioned. The new key works fine: went for a drive with it as the ignition key today.

The order of the dances worked for me: door / alarm first, imobiliser / transponder second.

Interestingly the key is a Denso-manufactured Toyota key as far as I can tell (Denso writing on the back with model number / serial number): I read some warnings on the forum that this wouldn't work, but tried anyway as I had a the blank key and fob already.

A long time after the fact for you, chrisowen57, but hopefully of help for others in future.

cookie.cc22

Post by cookie.cc22 »

Hi
I have a problem with existing key fob, it has been fine until a couple of days ago , and then the remote stopped working , i put in a fresh battery to no avail, i can start the car so the imobilser is fine, but i cant stop the alarm. Any ideas

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”