Potentially Seized 1ZZ

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
drsuds

Potentially Seized 1ZZ

Post by drsuds »

Hi chaps, newbie here.

Bit of a problem with the misses MR2. Car was driving fine, no knocks, rattles or overheating. Motor shut off and left. Come back to it half hour later won't start. Alarm was going off and battery was drained.

Got life back in the battery and go to crank it, nothing. You can hear the starter motor fire, but gives no movement. No attempt to turn over. Battery checked by AA and healthy. Tried to bump it to see if it was a stuck return on the starter. No joy.

After an hour on a low loader to return it home, jacked it up. 19mm on the crank pulley, I can turn it counter-clockwise all day but not a mm clockwise. Pulled the starter motor off the gearbox, to see if that was restricting movement. Still moves all day counter clockwise but nothing clockwise. I can feel it go through compression, going tight to slack and back to tight. Must of turned it over by hand several times now.

I'm at a bit of loss with the motor. No signs of trouble while it ran. Oil is full and healthy, coolant is good and no knocks. No power loss noted either. I'm thinking its totally goosed and something is jammed up somewhere.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it or should I just get shopping for a 2ZZ?

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Potentially Seized 1ZZ

Post by oddshoes »

Where are you based
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
drsuds

Post by drsuds »

I'm based in Stoke.

Stagginz

Post by Stagginz »

Hey! Did this ever get sorted?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”