Mk3 convertible roof

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
kay00ni

Mk3 convertible roof

Post by kay00ni »

Looking advice please. Have a 2005 mr2 Roadster vvti red and it's roof is looking very poor. I am in Northern Ireland and looked about going to Swansea to get replacement skin but when I take the costs of ferries, fuel etc it is looking very expensive. I can buy a mohair roof skin from a company called Mazda Hood Shop for £600 shipped but am worried we won't be able to fit it properly. Any recommendations for anyone in Ireland? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Mk3 convertible roof

Post by carolineasb »

Is the ferry that expensive? Smiths is only £330 supplied and fitted with a choice of colour. I think it's not just the fitting of the roof but the fact that it could possibly rip itself under its own weight although I don't know if that would just be the vinyl OEM roof.

Have you asked on the UK Roadster FB page if anyone in NI knows of a supplier? There are a few chaps from NI on there.

Other person to ask is Dick Sloan of MR2 Recycling in Carlisle, he may just know of someone?

Topic author
kay00ni

Post by kay00ni »

Thanks Caroline will look on fb...ferry to liverpool is round £400 roughly and scotland is slightly cheaper but not really fancying 8hr drive down. Will see what I can find out. Thanks

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Asked a chap from NI on the FB page and he says there is a company in Belfast but they are expensive :(

He says most others just watch for second hand ones coming up on fb marketplace/forums etc and get them delivered and then fitted by a mechanic in NI. He says Shiply are a good company to use for delivering over to NI

Topic author
kay00ni

Post by kay00ni »

Caroline thanks for all your help. Got name from Dick Sloan so Will see where that goes. We are going to took for hardtop to so fingers crossed.

BillMartin07

Post by BillMartin07 »

Hi Kay00ni

I'd be interested to learn how you fared with this problem- I've been an NI Mk3 owner for about 14 years now and have also considered and rejected the idea of the Swansea trip....
The good condition used soft top seems to be as rare as hen's teeth too- I'm not in desperation yet but if you have any leads, I'd be hugely grateful!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”