Refurb Original Wheels or new

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Slimesub5

Refurb Original Wheels or new

Post by Slimesub5 »

Hi,
I have a quite nice 2002 PFL MR2 in Blue and the wheels are corroding and lacquer lifting.
I believe I can get them refurbed for about £40-50 per wheel.
If I go this route should I go standard colour or time for a change? Any recommended companies?
Or, should I look out for a set of lighter second hand wheels, I don’t know much about wheels for MR2s, what are good makes/models to look out for?
Cheers

Chriss

Re: Refurb Original Wheels or new

Post by Chriss »

The wheels are a very good design for a stock wheel IMO, you could try refurbing them yourself however if you dont have the time I would be looking out for a 2nd hand set in good condition.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Get them powder coated, it's well worth it IMO these are mine about 10 years ago and they still look pretty much the same, they were bead blasted, powder coated, then powder coat lacquered

With UK spec centres

With JDM spec centres

Weight wise
Standard MK 3 15" wheels:-
Front = 15 x 6.0 and are approx 14.6 lbs.
Rear = 15 x 6.5 and are approx 15.2 lbs.
Don't know what the 16's weigh
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by S81933 »

Refurbish them as Jimi says. The ones on my Mk2 Rev 2 were corroded when I got it, to the point that one of the rears was allowing air to leak. I had them done by a company near me for £240 and they are still in top nick 5 years later. Can give you their name if you live in Essex. Can't give you photos as the old girl is under her winter duvet at present (I leave you to wonder about what that really means! :laughing ). However, if you dig through my posts, you should find an early one with a before and after.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”