Ride height

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
blitzmk2@hotmail.com

Ride height

Post by blitzmk2@hotmail.com »

Tried a search. Does my 2004 F/L ride higher than the pre facelift? And would it benefit from fitting aftermarket shorter springs?

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Ride height

Post by Topdownman »

I have never heard of a difference in ride height between pfl and fl.

The biggest benefit you will get will be from new shocks if you are still on your original ones.

If you are changing the springs then no more labour to fit new shocks too while you are there.

I would say lowered, your car will look better! The arguments for say it will lower the centre of gravity and handle better with less roll, may use a little less fuel and the biggie, look better. If you dont agree it would look better, I would just refresh your shocks and oem height springs.

The cons are that it is said to wear out the shocks sooner, you lose a little initial compliance, the shocks are not matched properly to the spring rate and wont be as comfortable a ride.

You have to decide whether to cut down your bumpstops too when you lower it as you dont want it to hit the stops too soon or even possibly ride on them.

Then there is the type of spring to get, Eibachs or H&Rs drop by 30 mm but Teins drop the front by 33 and the rear by 29 to balance the higher factory front (all from a stock set up, may be less if your current shocks are really knackered).

I would suggest you do some research as the arguments about the pros and cons will apply to any car.

Topic author
blitzmk2@hotmail.com

Very informative, thank you. When I got the car, it was out of mot, needed a front shock to pass, so fitted a pair of Sachs.
Then heard that the F/L was 25mm higher. Not having seen any other spyders locally, for comparison and looking at the gaps in the arches, I think that lower may look better, but I am happy with the handling so am undecided. Does the minimum drop cause speed bump problems? After years with a trackday Westfield, I am wary of them.

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

I would think you would need to take care on speed bumps if you lower it.

(I would change the rear shocks too, whether you lower it or not so they all match up and work in the same way).

Topic author
blitzmk2@hotmail.com

thanks again. That is the plan, but some paint is the next step .

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”