One brake not working

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
PeterMk3

One brake not working

Post by PeterMk3 »

Hi, on my 'new' mr2 mk3 it appears that the front passenger brake isn't working at all. Under further investigation disc and pads look unused. Removed the brake line to the caliper and no fluid came out (fluid level is good) ! Even pumping the brakes with the engine on and the reservoir cap off, nothing comes out. Anyone have any advice as to what to try next? Should I replace the brake hose, or is the problem more likely to be the metal brake line or ABS pump or master cylinder. Nothing visually looks wrong. All the other brakes work well. Trying to avoid a trip to the garage, any help appreciated. Cheers Peter

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: One brake not working

Post by jimi »

Hoses have been known to collapse internally, split the hose from the hard line and try again
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
PeterMk3

Post by PeterMk3 »

OK thanks Jimi, is there any risk of damaging the joint? Should I be ordering a new hose first in case I damage it? Don't want to be left with no brakes at all as the car is working quite well on 3 brakes! Cheers Peter

Topic author
PeterMk3

Post by PeterMk3 »

Now changed the flexible portion of the brake hose. Still didn't work. No fluid leaks from the metal brake line with the hose off completely when pumping the brakes. Problem is further up. Anyone have suggestions? Should I try uncoupling the metal line from the abs pump and see if it leaks? Cheers Peter

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Not much elese you can do bar keep working backwards. you could try tracing the hard line from the flexi joint backwards and see if it's damaged orcrushed anywhere. I doubt a hardline is blocked internally but you never know.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”