Starting Problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tim francis

Starting Problem

Post by tim francis »

I put my MR2 in the garage 4 weeks ago. I went to start it last night & all that happened was a lot of fast clicking.

Thinking that it could have been battery I tried jump starting it today but just get the same problem which would indicate that it's not the battery.
Lights all work. There was nothing wrong 4 weeks ago and the battery had been replaced about 18 months ago.

Any ideas?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Starting Problem

Post by jimi »

Moved thread to correct forum
Bad battery or bad battery/earth connections, bad starter or solenoid
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Grawolf

Post by Grawolf »

I would say it's still the battery
I have mitsubishi delica, different car I know but does same thing, unless battery in good condition it won't start, cant even jump start of 5.0 dodge ram.
But after a charge fires straight up.

Also try rocking car in gear sometimes starter motor can need a helping hand.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

A flat/dead battery can pull down the battery being used to try and jump start it, my advice put the battery on a proper charge for at least 12 hrs then try again,

Topic author
tim francis

Post by tim francis »

Thank all. After trying to over complicate the issue by going to the next stage in the fault diagnosis a 12 hour battery charge did the trick.
I guess 4 weeks is too much without a turn over whilst the alarm & mobiliser are running.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Nice easy fix :th: excellent.
I found that when I came back after 3 weeks offshore, I'd get one go at starting the MK1 and it would be sluggish, even worse in the winter, so 4 weeks (depending on the battery ) possibly a bit to far.
I built a little battery maintainer (only puts out about 14v @ 110mA just enough to keep the battery topped up) I plug that in if I'm away.
You can buy them, not particularly expensive, Lidl/Aldi have them in regularly for a few squids

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”