WHEEL SIZE. (I am so confused)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SimonTappenden

WHEEL SIZE. (I am so confused)

Post by SimonTappenden »

I have read loads of posts on the forum about wheel and tyre size and i am still confused. For my 2004 if I put 17” on the back and 16’ on the front is 7” wide OK or should i put 7” on the back and 6.5” on the front?

And then tyres, what size are best please?

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: WHEEL SIZE. (I am so confused)

Post by Chris69 »

diameter and width are not mutually exclusive, for fitment you need to work out max diameter or rolling radius, tyre/wheel width, and offset.

max total diameter (wheel + tyre) or rolling radius of the original setup and get as close to that as possible.
Total diameter = wheel diameter + tota tyre wall height where: total tyre wall height = 2[tyre width * (aspect ratio/100)]
for simplicity you can plug the original values into this and play around with wheel and tyre sizes:
https://91mr2.com/wheel-and-tire-calculator/index.html

Tyre width (from what little i've read) seems to be anything up to 205 on the front and 225 on the rear without modifications. So wheel sizes of 6.5" - 7" on the front and 7" - 7.5" rears are fine. Offsets seem to be +40 - +45 on the front and +35 - +45 on the rear depending on how flush you want the look.

if you haven't seen this link it's worth checking out.

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/a-co ... ist.15324/

HTH
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
SimonTappenden

Re: WHEEL SIZE. (I am so confused)

Post by SimonTappenden »

Chris, thanks I have decided to keep with the stock wheels, much lighter in my bank balance

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”