Hi - and some quick buying advice please

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SoloNomad

Hi - and some quick buying advice please

Post by SoloNomad »

Hi, new member so hello :D

A car has come up for sale local in a dealers, it was put in for part-ex so they're just selling it on. Looked good and had a look today but time was short and it was raining but in my limited knowledge and research there's a few things I'd like some opinions on or advice.

I had a few X/19s in my youth and an MX5 about 10 years ago - it was a lot easier to get in and out of them back then :blush:

It's been well looked after by previous owner who use to 'show' it at car events. It's got a folder full of previous MOTs, servicing and loads of work over time including new manifold getting rid of the pre-cats, stainless exhaust, new hand brake cables, water pump the list goes on. It's high milage 121000 and a 2003 car with the 6 speed box. Alloys have been refurbished, new leather seats, roll bars/hoops, very clean inside and out. All sounds good. Drove really nice!

I think my biggest concern is the timing chain, couldn't see evidence of that being done - how important is that at this mileage? I did ask the dealer if they new it had been done or if they could contact the previous owner to ask - not sure if they'll do that. And, what would the cost of that be to get done? Also, is the high mileage a concern? Would have prefered to get something about 60000, but my thinking is even a 60000 car might not have been looked after.

It has a twin pipe exhuast but only seemed to come out of the left hand side on start up - didn't get a chance to have a good look but is the twin pipe purely cosmetic or should it come out of both exhausts? Didn't think to check after the test drive.

Anything else obvious to look for?

Thanks for any advice

Slim Chaney

Re: Hi - and some quick buying advice please

Post by Slim Chaney »

Hi there!

It sounds like a good car and well cared for, I'd just factor in that you'll need to get the timing chain done. Itll give you peace of mind, especially on a 130k car.

Buying a 17 year old car will always bring with it a need for work, looking for something that doesnt will be akin to chasing unicorns.

I picked up a 2006 a few months back as a 50th birthday present to myself. The previous owner had done a load of work to it, refurbing alloys, replaced calipers, new radiator, replaced handbrake, which all sounded like he was an enthusiast but in all honesty if I had owned it in that time I would have had to do most of that, things wear out.

In 2 months Ive spent £500 on new headlights, had a new windscreen to fix a chip that was in it when I bought it and its had quite a few issues with the alarm. Its a reality with older cars, your hand will probably go into your pocket more often than youd like. On the flip side, the car costs a fraction of what a new car costs and during your ownership, even with the timing chain plus other expenses, will still cost you a load less.

Mine has been a hoot to drive, just ask my local gendarmerie, and Im loving owning it. Its gets plenty of admiring looks when Im out and I love walking up to it in a carpark, it really stands out mixed in with much newer cars.

With regards the exhaust Im no scientist but, when the car isnt under load, what gases it creates will escape via the easiest route, no point going the long way. Its only when theres too much for one way will it spill over to the other. If worried Id get someone to rev the engine and hold it while you're behind it, you should see/feel a difference.

Not sure if that helps but it defintely helps to go into this with a certain mindset, anything other will cause you undue stresses further down the road.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”