Front chassis brace

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
philbennington

Front chassis brace

Post by philbennington »

I need to replace one of the crossmembers in the chassis bracing which bolts together under the body towards the front of the car - rust. The part is called a crossmember even though it runs front to back - Toyota part 51205-17010. As far as I can find out they are unavailable from Toyota and there’s not even any cheap imitations on E-bay.

There are some alloy braces advertised - Barbarian - which look as if they replace the full bracing structure - but I’m struggling to contact them to confirm that their brace replaces this crossmember and to find out if I would need one or other or both of their kits.

Can’t think mines the only one with this problem. Thoughts anyone?

Phil

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Front chassis brace

Post by Topdownman »

Hi,

Cant say I have ever heard of the front cross member getting that bad but pre facelift owners like to add facelift cross members as they are stiffer. If the car is that corroded, make sure you check the rear subframe as they rot from the inside out and seem to be worse above the exhaust. The steering U/J is also worth checking and greasing and check the power steering pipes too as they are a common problem.

You can try Dick Sloan to see if he has a front cross member,

https://www.facebook.com/Mr2RoadsterRecycling/

MartinX

Post by MartinX »

Did you replace this? Do you have any tips?
Can’t find any instructional videos or literature anywhere.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

MartinX wrote: 09/03/24 13:39 Did you replace this? Do you have any tips?
Can’t find any instructional videos or literature anywhere.
Have you looked in the MK3 BGB ? this part
Index of /Toyota/mr2 spyder/Collision Repair/Collision Repair Manual
If you don't have it you can download it here https://mr2oc.co.uk/downloads/technical-stuff/mk3.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”