Best value plug in diagnostic device / tool

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Rixoni
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 4

Best value plug in diagnostic device / tool

Post by Rixoni »

I did try a search, surprised this didn't uncover anything. Just had the engine light on my 2001 MK3 roadster. Then off again. Sensor maybe the culprit as that did pop up on some web searching. But my question is more in connection with diagnosis. A trawl on the famous auction site reveals a plethora of diagnosis devices / gadgets. A trawl with "Toyota diagnostic" still reveals a ton of options with not a lot jumping out saying yes this is the one you want for your MR2 2001 and it's easy to use and same low price as all the others.
So I thought I'd ask the expert owners - given my last mechanical issue was happily resolved but by a chap 60 miles away I would like to invest a modest amount in a suitable diagnostics device so if a light goes on I don't need to have an immediate meltdown and can at least know what I'm dealing with before considering self repair, local repair or expert required.
There's a lorry load of devices from £15-£25 but I'll pay bit more if there's a true leader I should invest in as hopefully car is an investment too.
Thanks.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Best value plug in diagnostic device / tool

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

As you say there is loads of choice on the bay , but any obd2 reader will be ok some do more than others , I paid about £35 for mine years ago , I drive a Mk2 though so its useless for that as cant be plugged in lol.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Bear in mind if it's an MR-S (import) it will need a reader capable of reading JDM codes (JOBD). If its definitely a UK car then most ELM327 bluetooth based readers in conjunction with the Torque app should work OK. Can be had £3/4 on Amazon for the Bluetooth ELM327 and £3 or so for the Torque Pro app.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

jimi wrote: 21/08/21 19:57 Bear in mind if it's an MR-S (import) it will need a reader capable of reading JDM codes (JOBD). If its definitely a UK car then most ELM327 bluetooth based readers in conjunction with the Torque app should work OK. Can be had £3/4 on Amazon for the Bluetooth ELM327 and £3 or so for the Torque Pro app.
Definite thumbs up for the App, "Torque", cant use it on my MK2 but I've used for colleagues cars & the family, very very useful.
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

I've heard the one I linked to will read JOBD as well, but I can't confirm that. I've used the free version of torque with an el cheapo elm327 and it works fine on the car I tried it on. The Pro version gives you many more options
:blush:
Forgot the link https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/7047277299
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”