Battery

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ITV1

Battery

Post by ITV1 »

Just got a mr2 wont be using it everyday, with my old mx5 if I left it 2 or 3 weeks without using it the alarm, etc would flatten the battery, so i used to disconnect it, do i need to do this with an mr2? Will it also flatten the battery? Or is there another way i can stop it without disconnecting the battery?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Battery

Post by jimi »

On average a good/new battery should give you 3 to 4 weeks, a bit less in the winter especially if the car is kept outside. Quite a few people use a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged when it sits unused for weeks
jeff wrote: 26/01/22 12:35 not sure what you mean by
Does it charge itself when the battery charges off the alternator
but i suspect you are assuming its powered internal which is incorrect, it is connected to the mains

i have one of these https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-charger ... mxs-5-0-uk

i fitted the eyelet lead supplied directly to the battery and routed it past the spare wheel, then simple as plugging the charger in and lowering the bonnet with the charger tucked inside and plugging it into the my outside mains socket
they also do a 2.5 meter extension lead and Jimi has this as he mounted his unit to the garage wall then just ran the lead into the car

also, worth getting the battery checked, i have had a "new" batteries that have failed within 6 months and had similar issues to yourself
new battery from Halfords fixed the rapid discharge rate
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”