Active System Reinstated - REV3 UK

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Blast from the past!

I've actually recently retrofitted the Active System into my Rev5. I used most of an active system loom from a breaker.

A lot of the wiring will be similar. You will find wiring diagrams on this forum and Google.

My notes on the wires:

Active Sound Wiring

Blue/Yellow (3 wires) = 12v (15A Dome)

Grey = 15A Rad & Cig (switched 12v)

Green = ? Pin 6 amp blue plug - not used?

Brown = Ground

Pink & Violet = Front Speaker LH

Green & Blue = Front Speaker RH

Green with silver dots (centre of plug). Links earths for speakers.

Yellow with silver - not used
Black with silver - telephone mute
Brown with silver (thicker wire) earth

From HU:

PinkBlue & BlackRed = Antenna

WhiteGreen = not used?
Last edited by stuMR2lee on 09/06/15 20:29, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Re: Active System Reinstated - REV3 UK

Post by stuMR2lee »

If you want it to be passive I'd run new speaker wires and power/earth personally.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

That's something I'm trying to avoid tbh.

This is what's behind by rear quarter trim

Now is there suppose to be more to it? I noticed there is a a specific adapter for the active system with RCA connections. What are they actually for as I have no rca cables behind the unit.?

The headache for me at the minute is getting the damned rear speakers to work as they should. The front speakers and tweeters wires have been snipped on both sides of the car at the block connector in the footwell then wired into the badly fitted ISO as shown below.

This is what's left behind the dash.

The question is with just what's there and nothing more if I rewire everything back to factory, plug in a proper ISO adapter will it all still work?

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

You should have a main amp above the sub amp in your picture. Some cars had a sub amp & sub each side. The sub amps & main amp receive power via the blue/yellow wire. The head unit originally received power by the active system loom.

If the amp plugs are still there you could probably re-wire it all following the wiring diagrams in this thread and my notes.

You may need a replacement plug at the head unit end. Just depends what's been butchered.

My old NA (the original subject of this thread) had the speaker wires chopped off at the head unit end and the amp end.

It's not easy to explain in a post. If you were near Colchester I'd help you sort it.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Some more of my notes which I compiled from various sources to get my head around this system:

Premium Stereo Wiring Instructions
You have two options:

a) You can wire in a new head unit (HU) and keep the existing amp.
b) you can rewire everything, bypassing the factory wiring.

Here are instructions for a (for b, you're on your own). Make sure you use a HU with preamp (RCA) outputs--DO NOT send high current output to the amp! I'll assume you know how to dismantle your dash and pull the old system, so this only describes the wiring:

1. Get a standard ISO connector:
Blue = Remote On (amp/aerial)
Yellow = permanent 12v
Red = ACC Switched 12v
Orange = Dimmer circuit

2. Get a short run of standard RCA stereo cable (or pick up four male RCA jacks, if you prefer). This will cost a couple of £'s.

3. Cut off the factory harness, leaving a little bit of wire in case you want to use old system again someday (save the old part). NOTE: The factory side includes two green wires and two brown wires--tag them so you know which ones go to which pins before you cut the harness!

4. Your "chain of connections" will look like this (the HU harness is what plugs into the back of your HU):

[CAR WIRING]-----[splice]-----[ISO M][ISO F]-----[splice]-----[HU HARNESS]

5. Connect factory wires ISO/RCA's.

6. Connect your HU harness wires to the 14-pin harness as follows (note also that the 14-pin harness pin numbers correspond to the factory wiring, and I've provided the factory wire colours (colours vary so check against pin location), if you decide to just wire this stuff directly--in remember L = blue, GR = gray, and P = pink, in Toyota BGB parlance):

14-pin harness pin number (factory wire color) --> HU wire
1 (P-L) --> Amp/Remote Turn-On (pink/blue --> blue)
2 (G) --> ILL+/Dimmer (+) (green --> orange)
3 (L-O) --> +B/Constant Power/Battery (+12v white/green --> yellow)
4 (B) --> MUTE (not used)
7 (B-R*) --> ANT/Power Antenna (splice to pink/blue)
8 (W-G) --> ILL-/Dimmer (-) (not used)
9 (GR-R) --> ACC/Switched Power (red --> red)
10 (BR) --> GNDL/Ground (Primary) (brown--> black)
12 (Y) --> BEEP (not used)

7. Connect the remaining 14-pin harness wires to your RCA connectors. Remember that the center RCA pin is positive, so connect all the center pin wires to the appropriate wires on the 14-pin harness. Connect all the negative wires together and splice them to GNDS (pin 11) (five wires will splice together for this part). Working with RCA wires is a bit delicate, so you may find it easier to buy RCA jacks. If you do that, you can run some extra wire to split GNDS into four wires (one per jack). Here are the speaker assignments:

5 (W) --> FL+/Front Left (+)/White Front RCA Connector Tip
6 (R) --> FR+/Front Right (+)/Red Front RCA Connector Tip
11 (G) --> GNDS/Speaker Ground/Speaker (-)/All RCA Negative
13 (BR) --> RL+/Rear Left (+)/White Rear RCA Connector Tip
14 (L) --> RR+/Rear Right (+)/Red Rear RCA Connector Tip

8. Tape up your HU's high-level output wires so they don't cause any problems (you won't be using them, of course).

9. Plug your HU harness into the HU, connect the RCA plugs, plug the 14-pin harness into the one you've added to your dash and you're ready to rock 'n' roll.

If you later decide to reinstall the factory unit, pretend the part you cut off earlier is the HU harness and wire as above. You may want to attach four RCA connectors to make things neat.

Rev3 is a 15 pin plug.
Last edited by stuMR2lee on 19/06/15 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Not easy to follow I'm afraid but basically the active factory wiring for the speakers is based on low-level signals (FR/FL/RR/RL) with a common ground (SGND from memory).

These can be wired to standard RCA plugs and sent to an amp.

Not the same as standard head unit high-level wires direct to speakers.

In answer to your question about will it work if you restore the wires. Only if main & sub amps are still in place and working.

Follow wiring diagram to establish what has been done.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Much appreciated info. Just what I'm after. I suspect will be no easy ride and may end up having to bypass the lot in the end. It's difficult to see but just below the speaker you than see the top of what looks like an amp. Is this the main amp you're referring to?

I suspect it's likely to be the same on both sides because it looks like it previously had both sub boxes. If I could get it working as intended bar the sub boxes I'd be happy. When I get a chance I'll pop the head unit back out and take some better pictures of the mess.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Certainly looks like the main amp (there's only one) if it's above the sub amp. Sounds like you should have another sub amp on the driver's side.

Check if the plugs are still in there and the wires intact. Then you should be nearer to an answer. Difficult to tell what's been done from the photos.

Took me a long time to work out. Probably simpler than my explanation/notes:).

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Like I said I'll take it all apart again tomorrow and take as many pictures as I can to help the situation.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Right here's today's efforts.

It was probably fairly obvious from what I said previous but both sub amps are present and plugged in still and also the main amp in the passenger side.

Right now for the dash wiring. Some one has previous bodged an universal ISO onto two wires on the OEM loom and that's it. So the red and yellow wires shown below. The aerial wires have been snipped which is fine. I'm presuming the green wire is for the dimmer.

The rest of the wires have been taped off and pushed to one side. Nothing else has been used.

The other connector block of the ISO uses none of the OEM wiring. Like I showed yesterday they have just ran wires to each footwell, then chopped and joined the speaker wires at the block connector. No other wire is used.

Hopefully you can make sense of it.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Easy then. Find the correct oem plug off a breaker. Rewire as per wiring diagram and add the ISO connector/active system adapter..

Then if amps still work you'll have reinstated the Active System.

Got to say with a decent head unit it can sound very good.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

That's exactly what I like to hear. So basically put the OEM multiplug back on and repair the front speaker wiring and its good to go providing the amps still work?

The active system has a different ISO adapter with just one multiplug, does that mean the original loom on the active system only had one plug? and as previously asked, what are the RCA adapters for on the loom?

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

You'll need something like this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1599067787

It will depend on your model year/Rev and the oem connector/plug you get. There are a couple of options I believe so you'll need to count the pins first.

You can see from the adapter that the oem single plug splits into front & rear RCA speaker connections (you'll need these on your head unit) and power etc. the RCA's feed into the low level wires that go to the amp.

Old post with more info: http://mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/136271.html

You can direct wire all this without any plugs with a bit of ingenuity. However that doesn't future proof it so if you can fit a plug and an adapter that's best.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Ah so they go direct into the back of the head unit then. Makes sense now.

Thanks for your help. I'll see how I get on!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”