Active System Reinstated - REV3 UK

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Yes. You can get high-low adapters if not present on the head unit to convert the speaker wires to RCA plugs/low level signals.

Amps are fed by RCA/low level signals. Speakers wired direct to head units are using high level signals.

Good luck:).

asplando

Re: Active System Reinstated - REV3 UK

Post by asplando »

hi i have a active system in my car but the front drivers side speaker dose not work had the speaker out and its all wired up but dont know where to look next am i right the amp is on the passenger side be hide the seat some where

sorry for the hijack on this post ;)

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Yes, main amp is on the passenger side above the sub amp. Try swapping the speakers over to rule out amp or speaker.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Would it be too much to ask if you could take a picture of the OEM multiplug behind the stereo to help with my search?

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

As per PM. It's a 15 Pin plug you need.

Found some pictures from my old Rev3 NA:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434710586.714626.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434710661.248544.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434710803.973168.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Plug1.jpg
Plug2.jpg
1: AMP
2: ILL+
3: ACC (switched +12v)
4: +B (permanent +12v - fed by Dome fuse via the amps)
5: MUTE
6: FL
7: FR
8: ANT
9: LL- (?)
10: (normally unused)
11: GND
12: S-GND (Common earth wire for the low level speaker wires)
13: BEEP
14: RL
15: RR

I'm not recommending you do this. Information purposes only :p but here goes for a bit more clarification:

As per my previous post above. You can hardwire this system to a Standard ISO power plug: Orange wire = dimmer (ILL+), Blue (REM) = AMP + ANT (splice the 2 wires together if no separate antenna wire), Yellow = B+ (permanent +12v), Red = ACC (switched 12v). Black = GND. Check your Head Unit wiring diagram as Red & Yellow wires can sometimes be the other way round (premanent & switched live).

Speakers: Require a low-level signal the same as an aftermarket amp would. Your head unit ideally needs to have RCA outputs otherwise you will need the relevant adapters (high-low if using normal standard speaker wires) or splitter if only a pair of RCA outputs.

Connect 4 RCA's (I just chopped up a pair of standard RCA leads to provide the plugs and short length of wiring to splice in) to the factory loom wires: +ve wire of each RCA (centre pole)to the low-level (FR/FL/RR/RL) wires and all 4 Negative wires are then joined together and spliced to the S-GND wire (common/signal ground). You will not then use the standard ISO speaker plug.

This works as I have done it before. Alternatively if you want to reinstate the oem Toyota plug then you will need the correct adapter. I would generally prefer using the oem plug/adapter but the option is there.

Check you are getting a permanent live to the L-Y (Blue-Yellow) wire at the main amp plug.

Most of this is from memory. Check the factory loom wiring before cutting anything. The wiring diagrams should begin to make sense. Please make use of a multimeter to test as you go along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR2 Sligo

Post by MR2 Sligo »

Lots of information on active system but none answers my question. My MR2 1991 Limited with active system came with a Kenwood head unit unconnected. I got the correct interconnecting harness and after some fixing up of changes to the wiring everything is back to original. My question relates to the setting of the new head unit, while this is an active system, is it 2 way or 3 way, looking at the wiring diagram it looks like all the amp speaker outputs go to the subwoofer amp too. So with all wiring correct, I'm looking for some advice on how I should setup the new head unit menu wise with original wiring or is it just straight "through" with no crossover setup etc?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”