Completely new install advice - some ideas please

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Completely new install advice - some ideas please

Post by MR2Jay »

Morning people, how are we all?

Moving on with the oily bits now but the next stage on the car is the stereo system. At present it has some old school clarion equivalent with minidisc and cd in there but I tried switching it on for the first time since owning the car last night.... The entire rig is awful! :no:

With that in mind, as per usual, my idea is to completely revamp the entire systems. I've found a head unit I want (Pioneer AVH-X2700BT) which will cover every angle I'm after, including running music via Bluetooth off my handset as I'm jot a fan of having cds in the car.

I would like to fit a sub behind the seat in one of those boxes you find but I am wondering whether it would be worth just fitting one and using the box the other side and modifying it into an amp housing, keeping the frunk clear.

I'll also need speakers throughout, ideally using the original mounting points and sizes. Can anyone help with that?

Can any of you guys suggest a good, Mid range system? It's been years since I've priced up and selected kit and I can guarantee that the big names in quality 10 years a go are not the same ones as today :no:

Pricing up for the minute (still got oily bits which come first) but looking to start the overhaul this year :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Completely new install advice - some ideas please

Post by notroubleclubber »

As u may know I'm running an android tablet going into a Jackson amp that powers Sony front components in standard locations and a mutant sub in an mr2 sub box.

This sounds awesome though I maybe removing the tablet and buying another head unit as its just to much to use on the move unless I can find a decent app that puts everything on one screen that I like.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

That's what put me off the tablet/android head unit to be fair. I liked the idea of interacting with android however allowing access to apps like Deezer on the go.... That's why I started looking at the Pioneer ones :th:

I assume the sub boxes are worth it then? I've never actually heard one running....

It's sound quality I'm after over volume, I find that far more important :th: How does the Jackson perform on that front?

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

If you can wait until the RWYB day I can let you have a look at my Parrot HU. Runs Android and does all what you are after. :)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Won't be buying before then Kiz (I think) so may take you up on it....

I am picking up mixed reviews on the Parrot though from a few people I know have them

**edit - also just seen the price at twice what I'm looking at for the Pioneer :blink: **

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you want Android integration, Android Auto is amazing. Lets you interface with compatible apps on your phone in a unified, car friendly interface. Aftermarket units are expensive right now though as the tech is relatively new. Here's a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMM5G5tgsu0
It's vastly superior to AppRadio as Android Auto is fully supported by Google. It's faster, and does not require specific apps (of which there aren't many for AppRadio) - the apps just need to comply to the Android Auto spec to work, but more and more apps are being added all the time. http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... -1277409/2 - Spotify integration looks great!

For speakers, fit 6.5inch components with adapters up front. You can make a simple MDF adapter very easily with a jigsaw and a drill. You'll need to cut the plastic inside the door card for them to fit - this is not visible from the outside, and does not affect the door card in any way - I think the plastic just sat on top of the OE speaker providing a bit of extra insulation for it. Rear speakers can just be removed, they don't add a huge amount. I've actually upgraded my rears, but they don't add much, they just pull the soundstage back a little bit. It was a lot of effort to fit them as I used 4inch coax's, certainly more effort than it's worth.

Sounds like you've got the sub worked out really. If you mean put the amp on the other side to the sub, that's fine. Don't attach the amp directly to the sub box though, the vibrations are not good for it. Just be mindful of your wiring runs, where ever you end up putting it!

As said on FB, there's no point having a nice sub if you're running your lovely new 6.5inch components off the head unit. It simply cannot provide enough power. It would be like building a high spec forged engine and putting a little Kei car turbo on it. Or something. Crap analogy. You get the idea anyway.

So you need an amp. You need 3 channels of amplification, though a lot of 4 channel amps are bridgeable - this means you can combine two channels to get more power. So, you have channel 1 and 2 for your front speakers, and you bridge channels 3 and 4 to provide plenty of power for the sub. Alternatively you could get two amps - a two channel for the speakers, and a mono amp for the sub. Personally, I prefer the 4 channel amp option myself.

Did you have a rough budget in mind for everything?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Truthfully, although Android Auto looks awesome, I'm thinking it's tech for tech sake really. All I really want to be able to do is take a call on it and use Bluetooth to stream from my HTC. Other than that, I know full well I won't use the other features. Too many bells and whistles and I'll spend too long playing with the screen and not enough time watching the road ;)

Budget wise, I haven't really thought about it to be fair. I don't want audio competition quality but I do want a competent system. I'm thinking mid range as that usually gives a good compromise between cost and quality.

I'm thinking about this logically, the mr2 has a 6 speaker (ignoring anything in the cubby boxes) with components in the front and a couple of full range in the rear. It would be good to keep the same system so maybe a 4 channel and a mono amp, using a box behind the seats on one side and another box housing the sub....

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2Jay wrote:Truthfully, although Android Auto looks awesome, I'm thinking it's tech for tech sake really. All I really want to be able to do is take a call on it and use Bluetooth to stream from my HTC. Other than that, I know full well I won't use the other features. Too many bells and whistles and I'll spend too long playing with the screen and not enough time watching the road ;)

Budget wise, I haven't really thought about it to be fair. I don't want audio competition quality but I do want a competent system. I'm thinking mid range as that usually gives a good compromise between cost and quality.

I'm thinking about this logically, the mr2 has a 6 speaker (ignoring anything in the cubby boxes) with components in the front and a couple of full range in the rear. It would be good to keep the same system so maybe a 4 channel and a mono amp, using a box behind the seats on one side and another box housing the sub....
Fair enough. Do you actually need the CD / DVD part? There are some mechless options that are cheaper. I have an MVH-AV270BT for example.

Mid range covers quite a broad price range really, so it would be helpful to set a rough price range. You also need to make sure you leave enough budget for the extras like sound deadening (you can get a Silent Coat bulk back for around £50-£60 IIRC, more than enough for the doors and then some).

Keep an eye out for deals, I've just done a quick search and come across these Hertz ESK 165.5's for £106, £20 cheaper than the next cheapest retailer: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... -esk-165-5 . Would need to do some research, but Hertz stuff is usually decent. Focal Access 165's can be found for around £100 as well. There is an element of personal preference and suitability for specific genres too. For example, Focal's tweeters are often considered to be quite bright, but I like that in a tweeter. Some people prefer a more laid back sound.

Up to you on the rears, most people don't bother. Another possible amp location could be under a seat, but it would need to be a very slim amp. My Rainbow one wouldn't fit under there.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Quite tempted by those Hertz components myself now :laughing one of my tweeters is on the way out so I do need replacements soon...
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Those Hertz do look nice :th:

I think I'll just build up the components gradually, sticking to one brand of speaker (I'm a bit like that) and then tackle the job in one go. Otherwise I'll be doing stuff 2 or 3 times before I'm finished. I'd much rather get the seats and carpets out and do it all in one hit :th:

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

OK, How does this sound?

Head Unit
Pioneer AVH-270BT Double Din

Amplifiers
JBL GX-A602 Mono (Subwoofer)
JBL GX-A604 4 Channel (components and rears)

Front Components
Hertz Energy ESK 165.5 Two Way Component Speaker

Rear Co-Axial
Hertz Hi-Energy HCX 165.4 2 Way Coaxial Speakers

Subwoofer
Hertz Energy ES 300.5 - 12" Subwoofer Single Voice Coil

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'll have a sit down a this evening and have a proper look through the options.

That's a pretty big sub, a 10 may be a better choice for behind the seat. As well as being physically bigger, a 12 will generally need a larger volume box to work properly.

You're simply not going to get 6.5inch speakers in the rear, not in the stock locations anyway. 3.5inch and some 4 inch ones will fit.

JBL do a mono version of that amp (you've listed the 2 channel one). The mono one is the GX-A3001. It puts out a bit more power than the 2 channel one will.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

OK, Tweaked system ;)

Head Unit
Pioneer AVH-270BT Double Din

Amplifiers
JBL GX-A3001 Mono (Subwoofer)
JBL GX-A604 4 Channel (components and rears)

Front Components
Hertz Energy ESK 165.5 Two Way Component Speaker

Rear Co-Axial
Hertz Energy ECX 100.5 2-way Coaxial Speakers

Subwoofer
Hertz Energy ES 250.5 - 10" Subwoofer

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

Firstly allow for sound deadening and wiring in your budget, as cheap speakers fitted well with deadening wills sound clearer and better than expensive speakers thrown into place. The baffle is really important as it should seal the front of the speaker from the back otherwise sound waves from the back will get to the sound waves from the front and cancel each other out.
Two examples of how not to fit
As said make wooden (10mm or thicker mdf) adapter rings
mine are bonded (texflex) and screwed to the door
Underseal will work quite well as a cheap sound deadening.
As Gareth said you are better off with 6.5" components in doors off an amp (crossovers eat power) and a sub, I prefer to run a separate amp for speakers and subs, remember you will generally only damage speakers with too little power. Rear speakers will only confuse the soundstage, you should be able to shut your eyes and visualise the vocalist in the centre of the dash and band on the frunk ;)
You are better off getting a box made to suit your chosen sub, the mr2 ones are a bit small really as they are generally narrow apart from the Autoacoustics which uses the full width
I had to strengthen mine though due to flex so designed this one to suit my kicker sub
I have put the amps in the cabin behind a seat and in the frunk befored eciding the best place is the boot
Taking a power feed from the alternator
I would also upgrade the charging system known as TB3 (The Big Three) which entails fitting a bigger additional cable
from battery to body for earth
from engine to body
from alternator to battery
I have cheated and gone from the alternator to the starter wire
As it is around 2g and goes directly to the battery ;)
Low voltage will also cause damage

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”