Another butcher at work! Wiring issues

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Blue_10

Another butcher at work! Wiring issues

Post by Blue_10 »

Hi everyone,

I decided to upgrade the speakers in my MR2 Mk2 (10th Anniversary) with ones from an MR2 I'm breaking. I wish I never started now!
- The rear passenger sub is wired up with the original connector spliced into a new wire bypassing the original amp then up to the rear speaker.
- The rear driver's side amp is still connected to the original amp but appears to not be working. The rear speaker has a new wire running to it.
Is there any merit in reconnecting the original amps? Or is bypassing and splicing like the passenger side common?

It's currently got a Kenwood single DIN head unit but I want to put in my Sony Bluetooth one. The problem is I can't get the sodding thing out! Do I need to buy some Kenwood release keys or will something else work?
I'd also love to see how it's been wired up behind there!

PsyKen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Another butcher at work! Wiring issues

Post by PsyKen »

There's a guide in know your 2 I believe.

From memory:

Remove ashtray and two screws in there.
Remove left hand screw from the trim under the steering wheel and pull down.
I think you can now remove the trim that surrounds the radio. Make sure you have removed the radio face and any trim edge.
Unclip the hazard light switch and cigarette lighter and remove the bulb.

When that has been removed you'll see the radio cage screwed in with four cross head screws. Undo them to release the cage and then unscrew the cage from the radio.

Sent from my HTC One_mate using Tapatalk
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

Topic author
Blue_10

Post by Blue_10 »

Awesome thanks Ken. My mate pointed out that maybe the stereo is screwed in as an extra security measure because if you left your car unattended with the lids off there's nothing stopping someone from jumping in and pulling the stereo out.

Are Focal Utopia 5WS good sub speakers?

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

As above the headunit is screwed in place.on the MR2. You need to remove the centre dash panel.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”